By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dead Rising Wii is a terrible, terrible idea (Final Build)

mrstickball said:
Oh, it should be noted:

In the beginning of DR on X360, there are not many zombies. Kotaku should have known that and ran straight for the underground garage - which in the X360 version, had 50+ zombies onscreen at once (if not in the hundreds). The concourse may not be the best area to argue enemy counts over....If it was @ the start of the game. Zombie numbers slowly grow throughout the game as more and more pour in to the store.

Yeah, that's what I said when they first revealed the game, that in the beginning, it's empty.  But it wasn't 6 Zombies empty, lol. 

And yes, the underground tunnel had waves of Zombies in there, hundreds, maybe a thousand or so Zombies from everywhere, so much fun!  ^_^

Around the Network

IMO, there are hardware limitations yes, but as proven before, that doesn't stop a company from making a good game.

...I think an example would be the positive buzz around Tecmo's Rygar remake, initially they were head now the same road as Dead Rising appears to be, a poor port, but they decided against it and basically remade Rygar ground up for the Wii.

...It's about what standards you will accept, you wouldn't think Tecmo would have a higher one for their game then Capcom....

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

yushire said:

Im not asking for 100 zombies at a time anyway, I just want the game similar close to be like RE4. Its the reason why they port this game anyway to the Wii anyway...

Well it really shouldn't be like RE4...

I know they're using its engine and similar controls, but the game itself is not RE4...it's not horror survival...it's like zombie beat-em-up.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Apparently either the author or the rep he spoke to has no clue how much can be done in 6 months. While the engine might be in its final build, that does not mean anything for any art related areas. Often builds go through to final with placeholder graphics. Then before and during beta, the graphics are replaced with higher quality, controls are tweaked, etc.

Sounds like a case of misunderstanding. Expect more come release time.

Did you read it? He said "And the graphics, in the game's defence, look pretty good, especially the cutscenes."

I don't particularly care for the graphics here, but that's not my problem. My problem is the number of enemies onscreen at once. That also COULD be improved in the next 6 months, but I doubt it.

The guy SAID "no, aside from a few minor bug fixes, this was the same build, because the game was nearly done." They're not going to suddenly add a ton more zombies.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
Did you read it? He said "And the graphics, in the game's defence, look pretty good, especially the cutscenes."

I don't particularly care for the graphics here, but that's not my problem. My problem is the number of enemies onscreen at once. That also COULD be improved in the next 6 months, but I doubt it.

The guy SAID "no, aside from a few minor bug fixes, this was the same build, because the game was nearly done." They're not going to suddenly add a ton more zombies.

That doesn't mean anything coming from a person in the media. Media types are designed to twist words, cherrypick ideas. The game releases in February 09, that gives them 3 more months of tweaking and improvements, and a month+ of beta testing before the game goes gold. Anything can happen. C'mon Ben, I'm sure you know this already. I'd expect you to know how the dev process functions.

BenKenobi88 said:
yushire said:

Im not asking for 100 zombies at a time anyway, I just want the game similar close to be like RE4. Its the reason why they port this game anyway to the Wii anyway...

I know they're using its engine and similar controls, but the game itself is not RE4...it's not horror survival...it's like zombie beat-em-up.

With the announcements and hands ons so far from numerous websites and mags, you should know now that Dead Rising for the Wii isnt meant to be like the original but instead a clone of RE4. Its even on the trailer...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yushire said:
BenKenobi88 said:
yushire said:

With the announcements and hands ons so far from numerous websites and mags, you should know now that Dead Rising for the Wii isnt meant to be like the original but instead a clone of RE4. Its even on the trailer...

The RE4 point in that video was meant to say it has the same controls as RE4, not a clone of the gameplay.  They are completely different games and I would be even more disgusted with the game is they tried to clone the gameplay.

DMeisterJ said:
Someone should post the Hitman PS2 comparison here again.

Knowing that the Zombies are as dumb as they ever were, and only ten or so on screen at one time, means that Hitman looks better than this game.

lulz.

That crowd system is something completely different and something much easier to do than actual AI running around.

bardicverse said:
BenKenobi88 said:

That doesn't mean anything coming from a person in the media. Media types are designed to twist words, cherrypick ideas. The game releases in February 09, that gives them 3 more months of tweaking and improvements, and a month+ of beta testing before the game goes gold. Anything can happen. C'mon Ben, I'm sure you know this already. I'd expect you to know how the dev process functions.

And I'd argue I do.

I'm sure some graphical bells and whistles can be added on to a game 6 months before it comes out.  Look at Left 4 Dead 6 months ago compared to today...there are MAJOR differences...it looks a lot better.

There's a difference between optimizing graphics and being able to add even a dozen more zombies though.  This RE4 engine clearly isn't capable of holding a hundred zombies in one area, coupled with the Wii's weaker hardware, I just don't see this improving much.  I'm not saying it's impossible...the Wii is capable with the right developers and the right tools...

I guess another bad sign is Capcom is not telling us it might improve...they're pretty much telling us this is it.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Dead rising with wii controls sounded like a promising idea, Its a shame that it appers they haven't quite pulled it off