By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So who here buys vinyls?

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new turntable as a new toy to cheer myself up. I've gotten surprisingly into collecting vinyls now, and my friends are getting really into it now too (I think I started a fad, now everyone plans on going out and buying a turntable) . Anyone else here collect vinyl? And I'm curious if you do whether or not you actually listen to them. My brother just collects them and has no intention of listening to them.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

Around the Network

the only type of vinyl I've heard of is the eraser kind, and i'm pretty sure your not referring to those ( at least i hope not).

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the best Zelda title ever made.

"The Person Who Got the Closest to Winning the 1st VGC VC Giveaway, but still lost"

Interesting... Are you into DJing/Scratching? I used to be into that a long time ago. Me and my friends would always go to Tower Records and check out the new vinyls. We had a blast. The records we got were mostly hip-hop, dance and breakdancing stuff.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

i have no player. and i bought a chicago base indie records that stopped recordings catalog... so i have like 5 vinyls that I have never heard.

my girlfriend collections vinyls
i got her a couple for her birthday

everytime i sleep over, we wake up, put on a vinyl, take a shower, flip it over, have breakfast

it's great

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Around the Network

I do. Most new records are released on Vinyl. Nothing beats the sound of it.

No, no DJing.

Since I'm kind of unfamiliar with these its crazy how awkward I am getting them in and out of their sleeves. Haven't quite mastered that art yet.

Its great, some come with really cool goodies inside, some of the bands I listen to release their stuff vinyl only, the records theirselves are often in cool colors and whatnot. And the splits are great for finding new bands.

I think there is some appeal in just the ritual itself of putting the music on.

Ha I made this thread after I had just received a bunch I ordered from robotic empire... and then I went back and ordered a few more immediately after receiving my order.

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

I remember when I was kid, they had those kiddy record players. I loved the Star Wars ones. My sisters had the Smurf and Strawberry Shortcake ones. I also have some of 80's music from back in the day.

You should check out Tower Records, they have a crap load of vinyls.

http://www.tower.com/surf/explore/nav_exp/nav_2_browse.cfm?div_id=2&format=32

I actually thought about collecting vinyls at one point, but it gets pretty expensive.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

As far as sound goes, you definitely can get better sound from analog as opposed to digital. Even though there are CD mixers out there, people still prefer to mix with vinyls when it comes to DJing. Same thing can be said with VHS/Beta compared to DVDs. VHS sucked compared to Beta, but you don't get digital fragments in either of those analog recorders compared to digital video. Your not going to get everything that you recorded in Analog when it's converted to digital.

Here's a link for some reference:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=375592

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

I buy vinyls sometimes, but I don't listen to them. I hang them up on my walls! I have 14 on my walls right now, some I bought myself, some I stole from my dad, some I got as gifts.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson