By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Could Dark Knight win Best Picture?

I have been thinking about this for some time, I really feel that the Dark Knight should win best picture because its without doubt the movie of the year and I see no movie topping it. This movie lived up to the hype and managed to enter my top 3 which in itself is an achievement (godfather,shawshank, the dark knight), its currently my favourite movie of all (my list keeps changing like IMDB lol) im patiently waiting for it to come out on Blu Ray so i can watch this bad boy on my new hdtv!

When I saw this film in this cinema it blew me away it felt like playing megaman2 for the first time it was a priceless moment lol. This movie is currently 2nd biggest movie in terms of box office gross and the Academy do tend to factor in box office succes add with that raving reviews and you have got the dark knight. This movie is like the Godfather part II of comic book movies, this movies more than just a comic book movie. it's one of the greatest movies made period!

But I must admit I don't like the Academy awards they don't award those who have earned the award (which I will explain later). In conclusion do you thinks it's possible for the Dark Knight to win best picture.

R.I.P Heath ledger thank you for giving the peformance of the decade, you have earned your rest soldier - Rest in Peace!

The reason im a bit skeptical of the Academy awards are for the following reasons:

• Goodfellas should have won best picture and director
  • Shawshank Redemption should have won best picture
  • Taxi driver and robert de niro should have won the Academy Award
  • Al Pacino should have won the academy award for the Godfather or g2
  • Denzel washington should have won best actor for The Hurricane
  • Megaman2 should have won best picture for 1989
  • The Dark Knight and Heath ledger must win an Academy Award!!

These are just my thoughts.

This article was submitted by the editor of VGchartz Megaman2 also known to his loyal soldiers as the Sony leader, next week I will be interviewing the Corporate vice president of Microsoft Shane kim and President Ceo of SCEA Jack Tretton.

Stay tuned for that!

"BLU RAY is the only way to go forward in life"

^Einstein said

Around the Network

No. It can't.

Heath Ledger will prolly win though.

Probably not, it might get nominated though.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I think its possible. Heath Ledger's performance in that film as the Joker is amazing. The Dark Knight was probably the best batman film i have ever seen and the best movie of the summer.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

I still haven't seen the movie but considering the academy so rarely gets it 'right' with regard to the major awards, i'd have to say no.

Around the Network

No

If it doesn't get an academy award (either for best picture, or for heaths performance) it'll just emphasise how out of touch and useless the awards are. Very few films get universal critical acclaim and massive financial success and have the villain (who does the performance of his life) die all at once.

It would have to be a really lousy Fall season for the Dark Knight to get the Best Picture Winner, but stranger things have happened recently. I mean who seriously saw Crash beating out Brokeback? As for Heath Ledger, he's basically a shoe in at this point. What everyone needs to consider though is which awards the Dark Knight should legitimately be nominated for. Most best pictures are usually one of two things. They are either well acted, well written movies, or they are movies that take all the technical awards. If the Dark Knight were to get nominated, I would see it taking the latter, because I haven't heard anybody give two shits about a peformance in that movie outside of Heath.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

PDF said:
^^ I think the movie was really well written and directed. I want to see Nolan get rewarded for this movie just as much as I want to see Ledger get rewarded.

That's only three nominations. This was my point. No movie with just a directing and best actor(supporting actor?) nod will be given a Best Picture nod also. I haven't seen the movie so I can't judge on a personal level. What Oscars could or should this movie legitimately be nominated for? How is the editing? The sound? Effects? Costume design?

Also for those saying the Dark Knight deserves this, how many movies have each of you seen this year? If it consists of big budget Summer movies and not much else, I would say you could have just as easily missed a better movie that already got released. Plus, I would personally never count my chickens before December. Good movies tend to sneak up in the last few months.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Dark knight probably wont(and shouldnt) win the best picture
Heath Ledgers performance is a different thing altogether. As of now, he is the front-runner in my opinion. He really went with a bang.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach