By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Report: Manufacting contract awarded for external 360 Blu-ray drive

heruamon said:
LOL...M$ isn't giving money to Sony, they are getting money from the periphal makers, who want to tap into the 360 audience...sony gets a cut, but so does M$, and they probably get a bigger cut than Sony, so it's advantage M$...first off. If they were internalizing hte player, Sony would stand to benfit more, but that's not the case. Digital Distro is one of several ways to get content...not the only one...

Even if they are giving money to sony it's not like Sony doesn't give money to Microsoft.

I mean what's loaded on every Vaio labtop?

Around the Network

MS tries to make the best of a bad bargain. Well, not so bad, because they earn a lot also from BD, but neither the best, as MS would have earned more from HD-DVD, owning its most widespread interactive contents implementation, while interactive contents for BD are managed by a flavour of Java, that MS fears and hates.
The defeat of BD, moreover, would have been a terrible blow to Sony, and to PS3, nullifying a selling point and a justification for higher price. Anyhow, although about power it's not a victory, about money MS can't complain: BD victory cost Sony money that it will recover later, while MS will profit from BD since the beginning.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Staude said:
Barozi said:
loy310 said:
So that would bring the price of the 360 back up to the price of the PS3 again..

Exactly, but the major difference is: you have the choice ;)

Yeah, and i chose to get my games on blu ray. Higher price, better quality. ;) This ofcourse includes the hardware (that, you cannot deny if you look at the failure rates for each product)

true true, quality may not have been good in the past, but now they aren't too bad (failure rates). Of course though, I still think 360 games are of higher quality. I mean, Ps3 releases time and time again get extra bugs in their games. Though this is probably the developers fault.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Xen said:
1. Sony will recieve a cut as they own large parts of the technology.
2. Weren't you gonna go for digital distribuition, Microsoft?
3. That add on will further popularise BR. Sony benefits again.

In short, thank you, MS!

This.

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
Xen said:
1. Sony will recieve a cut as they own large parts of the technology.
2. Weren't you gonna go for digital distribuition, Microsoft?
3. That add on will further popularise BR. Sony benefits again.

In short, thank you, MS!

This.

1) Sony may get a cut but it is improbable that the ammount of money will be particularly large because licencing fees are (generally) not that expensive; consider that you can buy a $15 DVD player that is fully licenced.

2) They are focusing on digital distribution and they still support conventional DVDs ... the addition of Blu-Ray add on only improves the XBox 360 as a media player without forcing anything on a consumer who isn't interested in it.

3) To a certain extent ... I don't expect it to be particularly popular because it is an add-on; even if a remarkably large percentage of XBox 360 owners buy it (25%) it will not be that major of an increase overall. Essentially, until people who are uninterested in gaming become interested in HD movies (and buy stand-alone players) Blu-Ray will remain a niche product.

Around the Network

Give me 2, one for each of my 360s with HD DVD add-ons. I want to add more to the Tower of Power. Not power as in powerful, but power as in consuming lots of power and generating more heat. It won't be as cool as the Genesis, Sega CD, 32X combo, but it's getting there.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

sony is going to look like a big idiot now. they kept talking about how blu ray was their biggest advantage during E3, and now blu ray is on xbox 360.

Strategyking92 said:
Staude said:
Barozi said:
loy310 said:
So that would bring the price of the 360 back up to the price of the PS3 again..

Exactly, but the major difference is: you have the choice ;)

Yeah, and i chose to get my games on blu ray. Higher price, better quality. ;) This ofcourse includes the hardware (that, you cannot deny if you look at the failure rates for each product)

true true, quality may not have been good in the past, but now they aren't too bad (failure rates). Of course though, I still think 360 games are of higher quality. I mean, Ps3 releases time and time again get extra bugs in their games. Though this is probably the developers fault.

You are right about reliability of new XB360's, but let's not forget that MS already sold almost 20 million consoles with a failure rate more or less higher than industry standard: until new sales and broken units substitution won't have made the number of unreliable units marginal respect to the total, there will still be a perceptibly higher than normal failure rate that will keep on tainting XB360 reputation.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

deathgod33 said:
sony is going to look like a big idiot now. they kept talking about how blu ray was their biggest advantage during E3, and now blu ray is on xbox 360.

You really don't get it, let me help you: finally MS adopts BD and Sony, that's so eager to push it, shouldn't be happy?

Besides, Sony owned studios produce quite a large share of world BD movies production and Sony owns a consistent part of BD patents portfolio, so it receives a consistent part of forfeit royalties paid to BD consortium by discs and drives producers, increasing BD installed base by some million units, hence discs sales too, will provide Sony a lot of sales and royalties. Yes, MS will receive royalties too, although less than Sony and less than the share it would have received from HD-DVD, but as both Sony and MS will receive a lot of money, while of the two it will be Sony to receive a more favourable power balance in the movie market, Sony hasn't really anything to be displeased.