By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Good TBS games?

I love the advance wars series, and want to try some more TBS games. NO RTS ONLY TBS   What are some other good ones. Most preferably PC games since I could purchase them and download them through steam/online and get them instantly. Also if  there are some good TBS' that I could download through PSN/Wiiware,VC/ XBL tell me. You could recommend free ones as well as long as they are fun to play.

Around the Network

Worms/Worms Armegeddon.

Is really all that I knoe.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Soriku said:
What does TBS stand for? The only thing I can think of is turn based...

You are correct sir!

And I assume this excludes strategy RPGs, as those are too obvious.

The only ones that spring to mind are the Romance of the Three Kingdom games, but those are heavily into management as well. Koei also released some similar series (1776, Nobunaga's Ambition, etc.) but those share the same problem...

Worms, I guess.

since advance war is a turn based stratedy, I assume that's what his after?

To the OP, have you try the Total War series? Not exactly Advance War as its far more complex but the series is plain awesome, other old school pc title such as Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (the best in the series imo and the awesome X-Com.

You can also take a look at the upcoming Valkyria Chronicle for PS3 which is actually a SRPG (no base / unit building).

Front Mission on the DS, though this *might* be a bit closer to Strategy RPG than TBS.

Around the Network

Yep no SRPGs, I don't really have time for story heavy games right now, and have plenty of story heavy games to beat so that is why I want just a plain TBS that focuses purely on gameplay. I will try total war, worms and Romance of the Three Kingdoms . As for Valkyria Chronicles I already decided to get it a long time ago so I will be getting that as well when it is released. Most likely will get it after I finish Disgaea 3 if I haven't finished it by then.

Pocket Tanks, it is like Worms.

sc94597 said:
Yep no SRPGs, I don't really have time for story heavy games right now, and have plenty of story heavy games to beat so that is why I want just a plain TBS that focuses purely on gameplay. I will try total war, worms and Romance of the Three Kingdoms . As for Valkyria Chronicles I already decided to get it a long time ago so I will be getting that as well when it is released. Most likely will get it after I finish Disgaea 3 if I haven't finished it by then.

Do be warned that the combat in the Total War series is real-time, not turn-based, although the strategy map is turn based. (It's easier to think of it as a Risk-like boardgame on one hand, which morphs into an RTS for the battles).

I'm not saying you won't like them, mind you...

@ Soriku

He wants a TBS. Imagine A Fire Emblem type game (grid based combat) but with emphasis on gameplay rather than story, like Advance Wars.

OMG....what about Fire Emblem?..GBA? Wii?...

sorry..I knew you wanted computer...but I'm not a PC gamer much..