By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yes another anti-LBP thread.

Untouch said:
Go Go sony defence force!

Go go unnecessary posts! Seriously, what's the point of posting something like that? I've always wondered this...

I was actually fine with this thread until the creator implied that because he didn't like the game, that no one else will and that it will end up with an average score despite already having a 10/10 review and getting positive response from nearly every major gaming site. And he doesn't even own a PS3, meaning that he either played it at a friend's house or he's lying.

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
dougsdad0629 said:
This might sound weird, but I think the gameplay isn't really the point. As long as it is passable, which it seems like it is, the game will do well. The whole point of this game is creative freedom and a sense of community. The actual "gameplay" of running through the levels is just the means by which you view and experience someone's creation.

If gameplay is not important ... then why do we play games?

If this turns out to be more art program than game, it will have a lot of trouble moving beyond a certain level of sales (1M? 2M?). And it won't move systems.

Basically,  beyond a core group of gamers who think user created is the greatest thing since sliced bread, there are a lot of gamers who just want to play. And this type of game -- 2.5D platform -- has not fared well on the PS3 so far.

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- I think the score will be in the 90-or-above range because reviewers will love the game, even if people don't take to it as much as they think people should.  (Can anyone say "Beyond Good and Evil"? -- highly reviewed, great gameplay, poor sales).

First you said it had poor gameplay, and then you made a comparison to Beyond Good and Evil which you claimed had great gameplay. I'm guessing you're making a comparison to show that Little Big Planet will have poor sales, which is really unrelated to the quality of the game and is just a method for people to troll the game when questioning its quality fails. I''d also like to know if Beyond Good and Evil was being advertised months before launch and being highly hyped by major gaming sites.

I wasn't paying attention at the time, but you seem to be an expert on the game.

While I will not buy this game or have no want to play it (I am not a platformer never have been, don't like all the jumping). For those that do like platforming the game looks revolutionary.

forevercloud3000 said:
I find it hard to believe you have a PS3 seeing as you have a 360 tag in your sig yet no PSN one. Someone who has both would put both of them in if at all. If you tried it on someone else's system I also find it hard to believe you gave the game full effort. Dabbing your foot in the water and actually diving in are two different things.

If you spend 2hrs on a 5 min level then you simply SUX! no offense. The levels you create should be difficult enough to take the player multiple tries and a longer time to complete. maybe about 15min. Super Mario Bros. levels were not really that long either, just extremely difficult.

I am not calling you a liar, I just don't think you gave the game a fair try. Yet what do I know, I didn't get into the BETA..... :(

I don't have a PSN tag. I can't stand the PS3 tags out there ATM. Having to make your own tags and add your own trophies isn't really convenient.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

if he consider this poor gameplay

he should hate all platformers... and all other have weaker physics.

Around the Network

I will openly admit that I don't get the attraction to this game, but that is a personal observation, not one I expect (or intend) to sway anyone's opinion.

That being said, in the 1up show this past week the entire staff, save for one, could not stop gushing over this game... gushing! Given that it IS a novel approach to game mechanics, and at least in previews I have seen, universally loved, I do not think your score range will be even close. I would be really surprised if this averaged

MontanaHatchet said:
mike_intellivision said:
dougsdad0629 said:
This might sound weird, but I think the gameplay isn't really the point. As long as it is passable, which it seems like it is, the game will do well. The whole point of this game is creative freedom and a sense of community. The actual "gameplay" of running through the levels is just the means by which you view and experience someone's creation.

If this turns out to be more art program than game, it will have a lot of trouble moving beyond a certain level of sales (1M? 2M?). And it won't move systems.

Basically,  beyond a core group of gamers who think user created is the greatest thing since sliced bread, there are a lot of gamers who just want to play. And this type of game -- 2.5D platform -- has not fared well on the PS3 so far.

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- I think the score will be in the 90-or-above range because reviewers will love the game, even if people don't take to it as much as they think people should.  (Can anyone say "Beyond Good and Evil"? -- highly reviewed, great gameplay, poor sales).

First you said it had poor gameplay, and then you made a comparison to Beyond Good and Evil which you claimed had great gameplay. I'm guessing you're making a comparison to show that Little Big Planet will have poor sales, which is really unrelated to the quality of the game and is just a method for people to troll the game when questioning its quality fails. I''d also like to know if Beyond Good and Evil was being advertised months before launch and being highly hyped by major gaming sites.

I wasn't paying attention at the time, but you seem to be an expert on the game.

I think your reading his post wrong. The poor gameplay was an IF statement about a question in gaming in general. The comparison with Good and Evil is his opinion on how the game will do. He thinks the game will get good scores, like Good and Evil did, but it might sell poorly, for lack of interest from consumers.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

screw adding trophies to a tag. but if thats the only reason you have a 360 tag something gamer score means nothing to just about everyone.

any how i fully disagree with your OP as im in the BETA and playing some of the better levels are a blast. Also creating a level along with other friends on my PSN is fun although very hard to keep focused when you can act a damn fool with all the editing tools. The variety of game types is what will give this game ALOT more value then many people think.

mike_intellivision said:
dougsdad0629 said:

Mike from Morgantown

My point is that for this particular title, the gameplay isn't the central focus.  The creativitiy is the central focus.  The gameplay just has to be good.  It doesn't have to be great.  This just happens to be a different kind of title.  Obviously, 99.9% of the time, gameplay is king.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Well the genre is a very very tight genre. I mean games like this usually are for people who really get into those things. These are the small select who create levels in Farcry and whatnot. And this game tries to appeal to the mainstream with that genre with cute bags of rice an easier setup but in the end it's not a jump in and play kinda game if you want to get the full experience. At the heart it is still a game for the core gamer to get into. The whole it's a mainstream kinda game is really marketing ploy by Sony. Will probably work.

Now I've not physically played so I won't pass judgment on whether I like the title or not but I can see this game getting a little too much credit for somethings it just don't deserve. Some things especially on the innovative sector which I've yet to see much innovation out of this game. However I doubt I'd get into the game considering I'm not one of the people that makes maps on Farcry or in forge for Halo 3.