By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Motion Plus was too expensive at first

Didn't they talk about this when they first announced the Wii Motion Plus or is 1up really just that slow?

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Didn't they talk about this when they first announced the Wii Motion Plus or is 1up really just that slow?

Yeah, and also yeah.

The problem wasn't simply that the Wii would be more expensive. Every single wiimote would also be more expensive, which gets to be pretty prohibitive when you're trying to push local multiplayer as a core value. Just imagine if every wiimote cost $100. No way would I have a full fleet of wiimotes and nunchucks at that price, and that puts a limit on how much fun I can have with my Wii, just like the lack of true 1:1 has.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
twesterm said:

Yeah, and also yeah.

The problem wasn't simply that the Wii would be more expensive. Every single wiimote would also be more expensive, which gets to be pretty prohibitive when you're trying to push local multiplayer as a core value. Just imagine if every wiimote cost $100. No way would I have a full fleet of wiimotes and nunchucks at that price, and that puts a limit on how much fun I can have with my Wii, just like the lack of true 1:1 has.

That pretty much sums it up.

As for the lack of 1:1, the control would still have problems as developers had to learn to implement it.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I think Nintendo just chose the lesser of two evils.

How will this confuse casual gamers? Last time I checked they weren't retarded.

Around the Network
Veggie said:

According to the hardcore, the are. How else would they not know that swinging a controllers is objectively less fun than pressing buttons?

Or how would they not know that subjective quality of graphics is dependent on objective numbers more than the actual talent of developers and and artists?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Veggie said:

Less a matter of intelligence and more a matter of attention span.

A customer buying a new 80GB PS3 might not realize that it doesn't have backwards compatibility like the old 80GB PS3 did. A customer buying a Wii game may not notice the "Requires WiiMotion Plus" sticker until the disc is already in the console. They aren't stupid, they just aren't paying attention.

A lot of people don't want to have to watch the market like a hawk to know everything that's going on. They just want to throw a game in their console and have some fun. And it sucks to get cockblocked when you find out you don't have the right console or controller to do the job.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Pack in the Wii Motion Plus and voila. No retarded people.

Although it's true. I had a lady try and return The Sims Online because she doesn't have the internet. You can't return computer games so I told her no, and to make sure she knows what she's buying for the next time (although a lot nicer than that). She ends up getting angry she can't return it, makes me call the manager, and when he tells her the same thing, she storms off.

nintendo "could" have done like certain other companys and made sure their customers got the best hardware they could offer for their money...

And i really believe that they chose not to because they would make more money, so when someone says "sony" as a company is a asshole, think about what nintendo makes you do.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
nintendo "could" have done like certain other companys and made sure their customers got the best hardware they could offer for their money...

And i really believe that they chose not to because they would make more money, so when someone says "sony" as a company is a asshole, think about what nintendo makes you do.

Ah, the old fanboy bullshit cry of "only my company truly cares about the customers."