By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Two Million For Gundam Musou?

from ign Bandai Namco wants to sell a lot of copies of its latest PS3 game. by Anoop Gantayat http://lt.dell.com/lt/lt.aspx?CID=18672&LID=425772&DGC=BA&DGSeg=DHS&DURL=http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/odg/odg_xps_video_2?c%3dus%26cs%3d19%26l%3den%26s%3ddhs"> February 23, 2007 - PS3 software hasn't exactly been crowding the top ten sales charts over in Japan. Even Virtua Fighter 5 made a one week appearance at the top (just barely beating out Wii Sports) then fell to oblivion the next week. The question is, when will a PS3 game hit the top 10 and remain there until it's sold a billion copies? That answer could be ours next week when Gundam Musou sees Japanese release. Bandai Namco and Koei held an insiders-only (that's the industry kind of insider, not the IGN kind) event in Tokyo today to mark the completion of this unlikely combination of Gundam and Dynasty Warriors. At the event, Koei cofounder Keiko Erikawa had this to say about the upcoming title: "We've made a fantastic game. Gundam Musou is the most ordered PlayStation 3 game, but it's just one tenth of the sales we're thinking of. For us, Bandai's Gundam is one million , and the Musou series is one million. We'd like to sell a total of two million copies." A Bandai Namco rep later lowered that forecast to one million worldwide sales. Sony Computer Entertainment Interactive Chairman Ken Kutaragi was also at today's event and, speaking about Gundam Musou, said "Second generation software has already come out. While a variety of things were said early on, including that development is difficult, we've already crossed into the second generation in half a year." Kutaragi also touched briefly upon the impending European launch of the PS3, stating that Sony has already shipped a million systems for the late March launch. It's still a bit early, so we presume that "shipped" doesn't mean shipped out to retailers. But before that, we'll apparently be getting a look at "second generation" PS3 software when Gundam Musou hits Japan next week. Check back here for impressions. Blogs Boards Guide FAQs Cheats Reviews 1/10 of 2 m or 1/10 of 1 m ? dose that mean 100k preorderd or 200 k pre orderd ?

Around the Network

mitran said: from ign Bandai Namco wants to sell a lot of copies of its latest PS3 game. by Anoop Gantayat http://lt.dell.com/lt/lt.aspx?CID=18672&LID=425772&DGC=BA&DGSeg=DHS&DURL=http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/odg/odg_xps_video_2?c%3dus%26cs%3d19%26l%3den%26s%3ddhs"> February 23, 2007 - PS3 software hasn't exactly been crowding the top ten sales charts over in Japan. Even Virtua Fighter 5 made a one week appearance at the top (just barely beating out Wii Sports) then fell to oblivion the next week. The question is, when will a PS3 game hit the top 10 and remain there until it's sold a billion copies? That answer could be ours next week when Gundam Musou sees Japanese release. Bandai Namco and Koei held an insiders-only (that's the industry kind of insider, not the IGN kind) event in Tokyo today to mark the completion of this unlikely combination of Gundam and Dynasty Warriors. At the event, Koei cofounder Keiko Erikawa had this to say about the upcoming title: "We've made a fantastic game. Gundam Musou is the most ordered PlayStation 3 game, but it's just one tenth of the sales we're thinking of. For us, Bandai's Gundam is one million , and the Musou series is one million. We'd like to sell a total of two million copies." A Bandai Namco rep later lowered that forecast to one million worldwide sales. Sony Computer Entertainment Interactive Chairman Ken Kutaragi was also at today's event and, speaking about Gundam Musou, said "Second generation software has already come out. While a variety of things were said early on, including that development is difficult, we've already crossed into the second generation in half a year." Kutaragi also touched briefly upon the impending European launch of the PS3, stating that Sony has already shipped a million systems for the late March launch. It's still a bit early, so we presume that "shipped" doesn't mean shipped out to retailers. But before that, we'll apparently be getting a look at "second generation" PS3 software when Gundam Musou hits Japan next week. Check back here for impressions. Blogs Boards Guide FAQs Cheats Reviews 1/10 of 2 m or 1/10 of 1 m ? dose that mean 100k preorderd or 200 k pre orderd ?
MUSOU is now the most popular game on the JAP charts........................there are some battle scenes which features over 500k enemeies (power of the console god named ps3). i am expecting atleast 500k on the first day of sales. Clearly ps3 domination starts March 1st, 2007 go SOnYYYYYYYYYYY

washimul said: i am expecting atleast 500k on the first day of sales. Clearly ps3 domination starts March 1st, 2007
I remember hearing similar things from XBox fanboys about Blue Dragon ... I don't think it is plausable that the PS3 will sell more than 100,000 units in a given week at its current price, and I don't think you're going to see much more than 10% (maybe 20% for a good game) of existing users buying a particular game in a given week ... You will likely see 50,000-75,000 PS3 systems sold that week (a very good weekly total) and 150,000-200,000 games sold if this game is in as high demand as you think ...

HappySqurriel said: washimul said: i am expecting atleast 500k on the first day of sales. Clearly ps3 domination starts March 1st, 2007 I remember hearing similar things from XBox fanboys about Blue Dragon ... I don't think it is plausable that the PS3 will sell more than 100,000 units in a given week at its current price, and I don't think you're going to see much more than 10% (maybe 20% for a good game) of existing users buying a particular game in a given week ... You will likely see 50,000-75,000 PS3 systems sold that week (a very good weekly total) and 150,000-200,000 games sold if this game is in as high demand as you think ...
x360 is a dead console in JAPAN............and it has 0 fanboys in JAPAN.........everyone hates it in JAPAN..........last year aroundthis time just 1 k x360s were sold in JAPAN. BD increased the sales slightly ........but now x360 is dead............It is at the last spot in the chart.........lol come march 1 x360 wont remain on the shelves of JAPAN..........Ms would stop shipping it altogether to that territory

I've seen some clips on you tube and I have to say I don't understand Japanese game preferences at all. I like sumo (Tochiozan is going to appear in Makuuchi this Basho!) , I know something about Taira and Minamoto, I'm able to tell apart Fuso and Kongo battleships but this is a way too much for me... Anyway I hope this game will success. 150k would be great. I hope it will move also around 70K PS3 (100k a week). EDIT: typo

Around the Network

Heh. I'll believe it when I see it...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

is not going to be in the next chart is it ists going to be on the first march chart or the last feb charts ??

we just have to wait a little..........it is just march 2nd...........:)

that sounds good. Looks like it should give Sony some strong sales.

Blah - 2million is ridiculous. We will see in 2-3 weeks just how it sells. Still predict about 59k PS3's for that week, and 100k-150k sales for the game (week#1). If RidgeRacer is selling about 10% of what it did on the PS2 - I don't see why this would be that different.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099