By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Comprehensive Console JRPG Thread.

So it's been getting pretty annoying seeing the fanboys on all sides talk about how console XXX has no JRPGs.  This will both serve as a way to quell that argument and a quick-reference list for those who care about the genre and want to know what's out and upcomming.  I will include all types of JRPGs (SRPGs, Action RPGs, etc.).  I will not include games that will never leave Japan, regardless of whether the console is region free or not, or vaporware (I need something concrete that it exists). I need at least one screen or scan of any game I add here. If any of those games I leave off for that reason are ever announced for NA or have a screen or scan posted I will of course add them.  So here we go.

Xbox 360

Enchanted Arms (Turn-based RPG) - August 29, 2006

Blue Dragon (Turn-based RPG) - August 28, 2007

Eternal Sonata (Turn-based RPG) - September 17, 2007

Lost Odyssey (Turn-based RPG) - February 12, 2008

Infinite Undiscovery (Action RPG) - September 2, 2008

Tales of Vesperia (Action RPG) - August 26, 2008

The Last Remnant (Turn-based RPG) - November 20, 2008

Star Ocean: The Last Hope (Action RPG) - Q2 2009

Final Fantasy XIII (Turn-based RPG) - lol

Playstation 3

Enchanted Arms (Turn-based RPG) - April 3, 2007

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice (SRPG) - August 26, 2008

Eternal Sonata (Turn-based RPG) - October 21, 2008

Valkyria Chronicles (SRPG) - November 11, 2008

White Knight Chronicles (Action RPG) - 2009

The Last Remnant (Turn-based RPG) - 2009

Demon's Souls (Action RPG) - 2009

Final Fantasy XIII (Turn-based RPG) - lol

Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Action RPG) - lol plus 6 months

Wii

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (SRPG) - November 5, 2007

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (Roguelike RPG) - July 7, 2008

Dokapon Kingdom (Partygame RPG) - October 14, 2008

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Action RPG) - November 11, 2008

Little King's Story (Strategy/Simulation RPG) - January 2009

Rune Factory: Frontier (Action/Simulation RPG) - Q1 2009

Muramasa: The Demon Blade (2D Action RPG)- 2009

Golden Bonds (Action RPG) - TBA

Arc Rise Fantasia (Turn-based RPG) - TBA

Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Action RPG)- TBA

Tact of Magic (RTSRPG) - TBA

Dynamic Slash (Action RPG) - TBA

Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga (Action RPG)- TBA

Tales Wii (Action RPG)- TBA

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Action RPG) - TBA

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Action RPG) - lol

Games not listed cause I didn't feel like it and they were really bad:
Zoids Assault, Spectral Force 3, Operation Darkness (360)
Opoona, Dragon Quest Swords, and Baroque (Wii)

Hopefully this list lets people know that there are good games in the genre on all platforms, and quells some of the fighting.  Feel free to argue about which is best and all that crap in here, but keep it civil.

Updated - Points of interest for RPG fans:

-Of the 360's and PS3's 9 major RPGs, 4 are multiplatform. Of the Wii's 16 major RPGs all are exclusive except Echoes of Time, which is multiplat with the DS.

-Of the 360's RPGs 3 are first party. Of the PS3's 2 are first party, and of the Wii's RPGs all are third party except for 1.

-The 360 has no SRPGs aside from the 3 unanimously hated ones. It has the best selection of turn-based RPGs.

-Action RPGs in general are much more common than turn-based in the modern console market.

-The Wii only has one turn-based RPG, but is the only console to branch outside the traditional JRPG game types (Action, Strategy, and Turn-based).

Around the Network

...Little King's Story is a JRPG? I thought it was more like a cross between Pikmin and Animal Crossing.

Phew. For a second I thought this was an "ALL RIGHT NO MORE THREADS ABOUT JRPGS IN GENERAL" thread, which would mean that I would have to commandeer this one for the Mother series.

wow, JRPG's are finally arriving on the Wii...I didn't know the Wii has some many soon-to-be released JRPG's though. I overlooked that console. I thought the Xbox 360 and PS3 would be the JRPG whores this generation.

Nice thread and I hope you have a lot of work with adding games after TGS :).

Khuutra said:
...Little King's Story is a JRPG? I thought it was more like a cross between Pikmin and Animal Crossing.

Phew. For a second I thought this was an "ALL RIGHT NO MORE THREADS ABOUT JRPGS IN GENERAL" thread, which would mean that I would have to commandeer this one for the Mother series.

It's SRPG + Sim + RTS.

Around the Network
ecurbj said:
wow, JRPG's are finally arriving on the Wii...I didn't know the Wii has some many soon-to-be released JRPG's though. I overlooked that console. I thought the Xbox 360 and PS3 would be the JRPG whores this generation.

Wii has the most. Granted it also has some really bad ones like those that I chose not to list, but to make up for it also has some of the most original and unique entries in the genre to date.

Nice thread....way to put all 3 consoles releases/soon to be released screen shots out their. Its appreciated!

Nice list, I wonder what ''lol'' will stand for though. Let's hope it's '09! =P

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

naznatips said:

Games not listed cause they have no screens yet but probably still exist:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Wii)

Wasn't that game announced all of five days ago? Being a bit quick to call it vaporware, no?

Purdy picture:

And why no mention of My Life as a King, i.e. the only original Square-Enix game I've enjoyed this year?

Thanks noname. Adding it now.