By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Scientists Working on a Space Elevator?

This reminds me of the Simpsons (The Escalator to nowhere).

Around the Network
appolose said:
I don't know; it seems more likely that more R&D in, just, launching, would be way more cost effective, quicker, and less restrictive than a single massive elevator (of course, there could be more)

"At present we have a tether which is made of carbon nanotube, and has one-third or one-quarter of the strength required to make a space elevator. We expect that we will have strong enough cable in the 2020s or 2030s,"
THAT strong?! A cable that can stretch 60 miles up?!

Carbon nanotubes are amazing, some of the most interesting and most useful properties of any material recently discovered. Also the thing is that launching will always take more energy than pulling from a tethered spot, if they do succeed in this it will take all the difficulty and expense out of getting into space.

Rath said:
appolose said:
I don't know; it seems more likely that more R&D in, just, launching, would be way more cost effective, quicker, and less restrictive than a single massive elevator (of course, there could be more)

"At present we have a tether which is made of carbon nanotube, and has one-third or one-quarter of the strength required to make a space elevator. We expect that we will have strong enough cable in the 2020s or 2030s,"
THAT strong?! A cable that can stretch 60 miles up?!

Carbon nanotubes are amazing, some of the most interesting and most useful properties of any material recently discovered. Also the thing is that launching will always take more energy than pulling from a tethered spot, if they do succeed in this it will take all the difficulty and expense out of getting into space.

What he said.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Heres a couple reasons for why this could be awesome just off the top of my head:

The 2 most efficient energy creators we have are hydroelectric and nuclear. Hydro electric is constrained by water, and massively disrupts the environment because of how much land it requires to put a dam in place. Nuclear plants are relatively small, but the nuclear waste and pollution it creates are extremely hard to get rid of and puts out dangerous radiation. at least Co2 from oil and coal factories can be absorbed by the ocean/plants, there is no way for nuclear waste to degrade safely except wait for thousands of years. Have a space elevator, now you can just eject it out into space. Only problem would be how confident do you feel having material that could potentially give everyone on earth cancer transported safely up there.

If its high enough, you could make short quick trips to the moon and back. Develop a moon base. It would be a lot easier with an elevator. You could launch spaceships from the top of the elevator instead of on the ground. You would not have this pesky thing to deal with called gravity. It takes a lot of energy to reach escape velocity and even with all our advances rocketry is still not very safe. See columbia/challenger.

I remember hearing about this from the show on the Discovery Times channel. I forget what the show was called.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

We could build a second moon out of our trash, and name it Rubangtrashmoon.

That could be really cool, if they actually built it.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

I have always been intrigued by the proposition of a space elevator. If it is practical, the benefits would be immeasurable.

Nice, but they might get super lazy.

Sooner or later will have space beds, that move!

This and nuclear fusion are the two inventions I would most like to see working.

Nuclear fusion is similar to how the Sun works: the raw material is hydrogen from water and the product is helium - both of which aren't dangerous. There would be an extremely low level of radioactivity from tritium (hydrogen-3) but it has a short half-life and would only have to be held in temporary storage. The energy yield is massive and there is no pollution, and there is no threat of nuclear fallout for example. The only problem is that we don't yet have the materials and technology to contain the fusion reaction (it's the "Sun in a box") but the ITER project looks promising*.

*But the US government pulled all funding for no apparent reason.