By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCEE president: Going up 20 GB is "not worth it"

I think this is just one more piece of evidence for the fact that Sony doesn't want the PS3 to succeed. They probably have a lot of Microsoft and Nintendo stock.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Well, both sony and MS are planning to include a lot more downloadable games so that they just get more people into the habit of going to their online services......as well as enjoying the higher profit margin associated with selling some games by DL.

For DL games, which all have to go directly and fully on the console's hard drive, I can see the need for having a little bit more than you would really need.

Dont people understand why Sony is introducing 80GB in USA and not in Europe? They want to take away the EE from USA like they did with Europe. If they just take out the EE people will get angry, why pay downgraded version for the same price. So they are adding 20GB so people will not feel cheated. Making 80GB harddrive cost propably as much as 60GB. I am from Europa and I am happy with that decision. They are still trying to take down the costs. I am still wondering how the best way would have been to do all that without getting in PR problem. Maybe take out the EE from PS3 in Japan,USA and Europe at the same time. But then too many people would have been angry at the same time :D

Yojimbo said:
Dont people understand why Sony is introducing 80GB in USA and not in Europe? They want to take away the EE from USA like they did with Europe. If they just take out the EE people will get angry, why pay downgraded version for the same price. So they are adding 20GB so people will not feel cheated. Making 80GB harddrive cost propably as much as 60GB. I am from Europa and I am happy with that decision. They are still trying to take down the costs. I am still wondering how the best way would have been to do all that without getting in PR problem. Maybe take out the EE from PS3 in Japan,USA and Europe at the same time. But then too many people would have been angry at the same time :D

Umm... DUH!!!!!! However, you said it yourself: without getting in PR problem. Not easy.

Kwaad said:
I think that once the 60gb model sells out, they will drop the 80gb to 500$, and then come out with a 120 or something for 600. Because the sales of the 60gb @ 500$ say more than anything else.

So not only will the original 20gig adopters feel ripped off, the original 60gig adopters feel ripped off, but now the original 80gig adopters will feel ripped off.

A person who bought the 20gig at launch might think: "Wow, if I had waited 10 months, I coulda got the 80gig for $499 instead, with built in wi-fi"

Around the Network

Easiest solution. Buy the 60gb one for $500, spend $50 on a 120gb HDD and then buy a game you actually want for the same price as the 80gb version.

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

DonWii said:
Ok....

" Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." AL

Don,

AL ripped that quote off of Ben Franklin! Just check my profile mate! ;) 

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

I agree. Both of Sony's latest changes in hardware (PSP and PS3) are both not worth it. PSP redesign is nice, but not going to make anyone buy a new one as compared with the redesign of the DS. The PS3 needs more. I say they should have just removed the EE Chip to be the same as the PAL model and dropped the price.

z64dan said:

So not only will the original 20gig adopters feel ripped off, the original 60gig adopters feel ripped off, but now the original 80gig adopters will feel ripped off.

A person who bought the 20gig at launch might think: "Wow, if I had waited 10 months, I coulda got the 80gig for $499 instead, with built in wi-fi"

The original adopters(those who bought it at launch) knew what they were doing. They were aware of the fact that they could get it at a later date after a price drop had occured, but they were willing to pay the full price to get it when it was first available.

Seriously, you can make that argument about any system. Imagine the people who bought the X-box and Gamecube at launch, especially those in Europe.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

DoesWhatNintenDont said:
DonWii said:
Ok....

" Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." AL

Don,

AL ripped that quote off of Ben Franklin! Just check my profile mate! ;) 

"Even anyone foolish, when keeping silent, will be regarded as wise; anyone closing up his own lips, as having understanding."  - Proverbs 17:28

Acutally I think there is a closer one, I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure Abe is paraphrasing the bible :)

and another one..

"...and if a house becomes divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand"  - Mark 3:25

Still the Quotes are well choosen  :)

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"