By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Overlooked News: Chavez eyes Russia nuclear help

Wow, Venezela is really developing recently, nuclear gnerated electricity, one million laptops for school children.

If you ask me, it looks like it's a government trying to do something for its people.

Around the Network
Jackson50 said:
I remember the anticipation I felt when you Venezuelans had to vote on the referendum last year. That he attempted to constitutionally establish himself as a de facto dictator must have been a frightening prospect for you.

Dictators dont get beat in elections.

ManusJustus said:
Jackson50 said:
I remember the anticipation I felt when you Venezuelans had to vote on the referendum last year. That he attempted to constitutionally establish himself as a de facto dictator must have been a frightening prospect for you.

That is why I said he attempted to constitutionally establish himself as a de facto dictator. I think it is obvious that his constitutional referendum was an attempt to consolidate and prolong his power. He attempted to do it with through the will of the people, but they responded with a resounding no. I do give him credit, however, as he gracefully accepted defeat; this was somewhat of a surprise to me.

Jackson50 said:
ManusJustus said:
Jackson50 said:

That is why I said he attempted to constitutionally establish himself as a de facto dictator. I think it is obvious that his constitutional referendum was an attempt to consolidate and prolong his power. He attempted to do it with through the will of the people, but they responded with a resounding no. I do give him credit, however, as he gracefully accepted defeat; this was somewhat of a surprise to me.

I dont see how being able to run for more than two terms makes one a de facto dictator.  Was Franklin Roosevelt a de facto dictator because he was elected to serve more than two terms?

SamuelRSmith said:
Wow, Venezela is really developing recently, nuclear gnerated electricity, one million laptops for school children.

If you ask me, it looks like it's a government trying to do something for its people.

We're not developing at all, if we were developing we wouldn't be so dependable on oil exports, that's all we got, oil exports! No other industries that could mantain our country afloat. It sure gives the government a lot of money, but if the oil prices go down a lot we would be screwed.

Other thing, the one million laptops for school children is bussiness, they are buying them from Portugal! If you ask why is that a problem, then I would answer that if all the components of the laptop are made by US components (the use an OS made in Venezuela based on linux) then why don't they buy it from the US? Wouldn't it be significantly cheaper? Given that the US dollar is a waker currency and it would eliminate Portugal as an intermediary? I just smell something fishy here, my guess is that the government officials have some bussiness in Portugal and they would be benefited from this.

Around the Network

Venezuela is actually growing at 8.4% GDP per year. Thats better economic growth than Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Ecuador and many others.

Source: CIA Worldbook
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ve.html

ManusJustus said:
Jackson50 said:

You're right, Venezuela is not a dictatorship yet, I'm here talking bad things about my government, I'm still free to study whatever pleases me and choose the job I want. But don't be fooled, Chavez is just playing it safe, he's just making slow changes so he can control everything, in the future private TV channels that don't agree with him will be closed because the government won't renew their licenses to keep operating (one has already been banned for over the air broadcasting), Chavez is nacionalizing a lot of companies (I'm not against nacionalizing companies that are of public interest, I agree with some of the nacionalizations he has made, but I find a problem when the government has the monopoly over a certain industry) and the free speech here is not the one we should have, because although you can say anything you want you also have to face consequences like not being able to get a job in public offices if you say bad things about the government. In every public office there's a picture frame of Chavez on the walls and the uniforms are all red!

ManusJustus said:

I dont see how being able to run for more than two terms makes one a de facto dictator.  Was Franklin Roosevelt a de facto dictator because he was elected to serve more than two terms?

Well, you could make the case that FDR's unprecedented third and fourth terms coupled with his proposed Judiciary Reorganization Bill was an attempt to expand his power beyond acceptable means, but I know you are enamored with him so I will leave the issue alone. No, that was not the only proposed change that required a double take. There was also the proposal to increase a state of emergency from 180 days to an indefinite period of time and to remove judicial review from this process.