By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Buying Games in Bulk?

I noticed alot of people on this site who play on a ceterin console that starts with a W, and is made by a company that starts with N buy alot of games.

Some of them own 10-15. Some own 20-25. Some even own 30+.

I just wanna ask why? There arent more than 10 good games out for the console. Why buy 20 games (or 1000$) worth of games that arent worth playing almost? I dont know a single person who owns more than 10 PS3 games. Yet, there's numerus people who own 20-30 games for the 'W' console.

I am thinking about the attach ratios. The Attach ratio for the 'W' console, is much lower than any other console of it's age. Especially when you remove a 'pack-in' demo, and a 10$ game that comes with the controller. The attach ratio is amazingly low. Now back to my point. I knew quite a few people who own 20+ Games for the 'W' Console. and becuase of that, I would think could that possibly 'skew' the attach ratio's? What are the true attach ratios for the console? How does it compare to the other consoles? Why is it where it is? 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

I noticed alot of people on this site who play on a ceterin console that starts with a W, and is made by a company that starts with N buy alot of games.

I just wanna ask why? There arent more than 10 good games out for the console. Why buy 20 games (or 1000$) worth of games that arent worth playing almost? I dont know a single person who owns more than 10 PS3 games. Yet, there's numerus people who own 20-30 games for the 'W' console.

I am thinking about the attach ratios. The Attach ratio for the 'W' console, is much lower than any other console of it's age. Especially when you remove a 'pack-in' demo, and a 10$ game that comes with the controller. The attach ratio is amazingly low. Now back to my point. I knew quite a few people who own 20+ Games for the 'W' Console. and becuase of that, I would think could that possibly 'skew' the attach ratio's? What are the true attach ratios for the console? How does it compare to the other consoles? Why is it where it is?

There arent more than 10 good games out for the console.
That's your opinion.

I dont know a single person who owns more than 10 PS3 games.
Perhaps because there aren't more than 10 good games out for the "P" console? That may be my opinion, but if you yourself don't have more than 10 games for the console made by S, well...

Everything else is a direct invitation to a flame war.
Have fun.

Yeah i have to agree with "your mother" here, which games are good for a console is completely opinion based. It is hard enough getting people to be objective about future sales numbers which is something you can base off of logic and reason. But I cannot imagine this thread going anywhere except downhill with only people's likes and dislikes to be the judge.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Kwaad said:

What a noble attempt to spare our feelings by not directly stating the name of the console! Others have already pointed out that your assertion about "ten good games" is entirely an opinion. I personally find that there are only four games on the Wii that I've enjoyed enough to purchase (Super Paper Mario, Wii Sports, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Kororinpa), and there is only one game on the PS3 I'd currently be interested in (Ninja Gaiden Sigma). Again, just my opinion. 

I'm especially interested in the assertion that the Wii has a horrible attach rate. Can you back this claim with some evidence? I immediately went searching for some myself, and found that VGChartz is a bit lacking in terms of total software sold figures. The only region they have tracked for this is Japan -- and in Japan, the Wii's attach rate is approximately 2.32, while the PS3's is 1.51. Quite a dramatic difference, very heavily favoring the Wii! Perhaps the US or Europe has significantly different figures? I can't find them, if so. The most recent article I can find on the subject is this one from Playstation Universe:

http://www.psu.com/node/9000

Which notes that the Wii attach rate is higher than the PS3's as of March. That's quite literally all the evidence of any kind I can find, so if you have more, please do share!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

They have the money, and no brains, atleast IMO. But again, it's an objective opinion. They might like a game, and buy it that 95% of normal gamers think is crap - this is why games like Nintendogs, and others sell so well.

A 8yr old niece of mine has 9 Wii games, 2-3 PS3 games and over 50+ PS2 games. How many of them are good? 3 that I've played, all for PS2 (Her Wii collection is childish junk).

Even for the X360, my console of choice, I could name maybe 10-15 games I'd buy for it, and only 5 are good values @ full price. I think some people here have never, ever heard of "renting". Hint: It can save you money! Most of the Wii games people own here (aside from 4-5 of them) can be beaten, and nearly fully enjoyed in about 4-7 days, which is what a typical $6 USD rental period lasts for. Heck, with my 360, I paid $20/mo for infinite rentals. I found a good number the X360 games I thought would be fun, ended up to be junk, and I was able to beat & return atleast 10 games within 2 days.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

...I personally find that there are only four games on the Wii that I've enjoyed enough to purchase (Super Paper Mario, Wii Sports, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Kororinpa), and ...

I actually hadn't heard of this game, neat, will have to do some research...

To Each Man, Responsibility

I am confident that after the 10 year product cycle there will be 10 + games worth buying for my PS3 :P

Yes

I think that the reason many people (including Kwaad above) say that the Wii has a poor attach ratio is that their definition of an attach ratio is:

No. of software units sold in a given period : No. of hardware units sold in a given period

which seems to me to be incorrect, because the software is being purchased by the whole installed userbase, not just by people buying hardware units. This would then give a low ratio for the Wii, not because the software sales are low (they aren't), but because the hardware sales are so high. To illustrate why this ratio is misleading, consider what would happen if software sales stayed the same, but hardware sales fell by 50%. The attach ratio would then double, but are people actually buying more software? No, they're not.

I can understand why some people might consider that ratio valid, because in the past someone buying a game console might buy around 5 games to go along with it. That doesn't seem to be happening with the Wii, but it does seem that Wii owners are buying games, they're just not buying them all in one go. As far as I can see from the VGChartz figures, in any given week, the Wii software sales are pretty close to the X360 sales, even though the Wii's installed user base is only about half of the X360's. Even if you take out Wii Sports (which I don't think you should) and Wii Play (arguable) the Wii's software sales are still higher relative to the userbase (by which I mean total hardware sold).

Sqrl said:
Bodhesatva said:

...I personally find that there are only four games on the Wii that I've enjoyed enough to purchase (Super Paper Mario, Wii Sports, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Kororinpa), and ...

I actually hadn't heard of this game, neat, will have to do some research...

It is, for almost everyone besides me, a definite renter. The general impression is: great game, but too short. Exactly what you want for renting :) 

I personally was happy to purchase it because of my girlfriend, not because of me. I enjoyed it, but beat it quickly.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

milano said:
I think that the reason many people (including Kwaad above) say that the Wii has a poor attach ratio is that their definition of an attach ratio is:

No. of software units sold in a given period : No. of hardware units sold in a given period

which seems to me to be incorrect, because the software is being purchased by the whole installed userbase, not just by people buying hardware units. This would then give a low ratio for the Wii, not because the software sales are low (they aren't), but because the hardware sales are so high. To illustrate why this ratio is misleading, consider what would happen if software sales stayed the same, but hardware sales fell by 50%. The attach ratio would then double, but are people actually buying more software? No, they're not.

I can understand why some people might consider that ratio valid, because in the past someone buying a game console might buy around 5 games to go along with it. That doesn't seem to be happening with the Wii, but it does seem that Wii owners are buying games, they're just not buying them all in one go. As far as I can see from the VGChartz figures, in any given week, the Wii software sales are pretty close to the X360 sales, even though the Wii's installed user base is only about half of the X360's. Even if you take out Wii Sports (which I don't think you should) and Wii Play (arguable) the Wii's software sales are still higher relative to the userbase (by which I mean total hardware sold).

The only issue with the weekly tier ratio is that it doesn't give the big picture of Wii owners. Yes, sales might stay the same, if hardware went down, but for how long? Tier rates are very, very important LTD, rather than just spikes. You can give "what ifs" all you want, but the reality is that hardware sales are good, and software, to go along, is only OK. For comparison, at this time last year, the X360 was selling 250,000 units a week on average - about the same number the Wii is, minus Wii Sports/Play. What makes the tier so impressive on the X360? It sold the same number of primary software (non bundled), but did it had 1.5m less hardware units in the US at the same timeframe.

Again, this is why it's important to consider LTD ratios, and not just spikes. MHP2 for PSP in Japan was huge, and by all means, a great succuess. However, that doesn't mean that the PSP software in general is doing great. A casual observation would see that PSP software is doing decently, but upon a further investigation, the fact is, the PSP has near a 3.0 LTD tier ratio. That's absolutely abysmal, considering the DS has nearly twice that.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.