By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Cheaper than Wii=More 360 Sales?

Anyone think the cheap starter XBox arcade will really help Microsoft sell more XBox 360's? I'm not sure it will help all that much because Nintendo has REALLY gotten out in front of Microsoft AND Sony. We'll see this Christmas, but WOW is Nintendo planning on selling a TON of Wiis! If they do, can Microsoft really match that? The 360 will be their best selling system easily, it's about to surpass the XBox sales, probably after this Christmas, or early next year!

30-someting now, 40-something next decade!

Around the Network

Stores don't even keep enough of certain models of the 360 in stores, so any chance they have of out selling the wii is gone already. But the holiday bundles should give them a nice boost if they can get a decent supply going.

I still didn't get a 360 and that can all be attributed to xbox live. Wont pay for a service that will end up costing me more than the console itself or the entire cost of my library over the lifetime of the machine, as happened with the original xbox. Also RROD took way too long to fix.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Sure it will sell, Will it outsell the wii ...Nope! 

it didn't even outsell the ps3 in EU and you're already speaking of the wii?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:

After only 2 days of a price cut it was within 5k of the PS3 and beat it in Japan.....again....and will probably beat it WW sales, again this week.  So....with that being said, of course, the 360 is looking ahead, not behind.  Until Sony passes it in WW sales, 360 will always be looking ahead at the Wii.

Not really. It'll follow the same pattern as all the other big releases and price cuts: two weeks of high sales, followed by a crash and burn back to normal levels. We're already seeing it in Japan, and there's no doubt in my mind that we'll see it everywhere else too.

Price is not the reason that the PS3 and 360 are failing.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Obviously they will sell more.

TheTruthHurts! said:
Pristine20 said:

After only 2 days of a price cut it was within 5k the PS3 and beat it in Japan.....again....and will probably beat it WW sales, again this week.  So....with that being said, of course, the 360 is looking ahead, not behind.  Until Sony passes it in WW sales, 360 will always be looking ahead at the Wii.

I'm pretty sure the 360 was cheaper than the Wii in most parts of Europe even before the recent price cut, and with the most recent one, it shows that it could barely challenge its competitors even being dirt cheap. And it will likely decrease with next week's numbers. The 360 will likely never again outsell the Wii worldwide unless the Wii faces some kind of insane shortages, but the PS3 is already waiting for the moment (likely in a week or two) where it will start outselling the PS3 again. It's inevitable.

Millennium said:

Price is not the reason that the PS3 and 360 are failing.

Failing??????  I hope you meant.... "Price is not the reason the PS3 and 360 are not as successful as the Wii".  Both consoles are great systems and doing rather well,.....not failing, IMO.