By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN UK reviews FIFA 09 - 8.9

Just a word of warning, IGN invested marketing dollars in last year's edition of PES.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

Well, I finally tried the PC Demo of FIFA 09 so I can give my impressions. I know what I'm saying can be a bit nitpicky, but I'm pretty demanding when it comes to football titles

Pros:
- Be A Pro mode simply rocks, I had more fun with it than with actual matches, I've yet to see how Become A Legend is in PES, but this mode surprised me greatly
- Goalkeepers act better than PES, while they fly a little to much, they actually try to rebound to the side instead of just putting the body in the way of the ball
- Counting everything, the gameplay is pretty solid
- Clean menus, and the widget looks cool

Cons:
- The ball physics still don't seem quite right, while they've been improved, the ball still describes a too pronounced parabole while in reality it should fly in a more soft one
- The graphics are worse than PES 2008
- While this is probably due to my inexperience with the game, passing can be a bit tough, most times the games doesn't interpret well where and how I'm trying to pass
- Setting formations is a pain compared to PES
- This is mostly a feeling, but I think that choosing teams can be a bit tiring if you have to click next every time. A PES-like team selection menu would be better

In the end, I was greatly surprised by the demo, while I still can't decide if this is better than PES (and I have yet to try PES 2009), the fact that EA has passed from horrible, disgraceous to the sport games (FIFA 2004 and 2005, the last I had played) to pretty good is quite a feat. I'd give a 8 to the demo