By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - ...Im Getting Ready To... (Questions)

"JUMP IN"

Okay first off im a former $ony fanboy so yeah i was very spitful against the 360 for the longest time and even VOWED never to even let a 360 be graced by my presence...well as the title says im gettin ready to jump in...but not as a 360 only owner now thats just stupid. PS360 is the way to go now with the Arcade price tag at 200 bux...thats cheaper then the Wii for gods sake!

Anyway to the point then...

Questions...

#1. Only reason im "Jumping In" is for my fave gaming genre...JRPG's i go were my fave genre goes im not a console fanboy im a gamer. so any other games on the X360 i should check out besides JRPG's?

#2.Will the Arcades 258MB Default Hard-Drive be enough for the JRPG's?

#3. Will it work fine on an SD TV?

#4.  What type of External memory does it take? because the Limited Editon PS3's and most/some 80GB PS3's take Flash Cards SD slot Cards AND Memory Sticks. so what does the 360 use?

___

Now that thats done, i'd like to openly admit i may not be a console fanboy...but...i am an HD Fanboy so...sorry Wii dudes no offence, just wanted to get that out of the way aswell. and before anyone gets smart I still love the PS2 even though its last gen so dont bring that up lol!

Around the Network

1. Mass Effect, oblivion, Gears of War, and for lords sake Bioshock. Theres a bigger list; try consulting IGN reviews for a list of titles. There is also a massive list of great XBLA games you should try, like Duke Nukem, Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars and Uno.
2. Yeah it should be plenty.
3. Sure will. I never play on an HDTV unless I'm playing a review copy anyway.
4. Can't help you here.

You like JRPGs, right? First game you should buy for the 360(ever) is Tales of Vesperia. Best JRPG yet this generation.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Mass effect =)

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Shadowblind said:

1. Mass Effect, oblivion, Gears of War, and for lords sake Bioshock. Theres a bigger list; try consulting IGN reviews for a list of titles. There is also a massive list of great XBLA games you should try, like Duke Nukem, Castle Crashers, Geometry Wars and Uno.
4. Can't help you here.

You like JRPGs, right? First game you should buy for the 360(ever) is Tales of Vesperia. 

I already got Oblivion for my PS3, aswell as Enchanted Arms, Disgaie 3, and folklore. and i'll be getting Bioshock and Eternal Sonata for my PS3 aswell(Former 360 Exclusives), i met the great "Exclusives" such as Tales of vesperia i've been hearing about left and right.

Is it good? because when it comes to JRPG's i've always been more of a Square Enix/Tri-ace/Level 5/Sega fanboy...the tales series seems odd to me.. lol.. imo..

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

"JUMP IN"

Okay first off im a former $ony fanboy so yeah i was very spitful against the 360 for the longest time and even VOWED never to even let a 360 be graced by my presence...well as the title says im gettin ready to jump in...but not as a 360 only owner now thats just stupid. PS360 is the way to go now with the Arcade price tag at 200 bux...thats cheaper then the Wii for gods sake!

Anyway to the point then...

Questions...

#1. Only reason im "Jumping In" is for my fave gaming genre...JRPG's i go were my fave genre goes im not a console fanboy im a gamer. so any other games on the X360 i should check out besides JRPG's?

#2.Will the Arcades 258MB Default Hard-Drive be enough for the JRPG's?

#3. Will it work fine on an SD TV?

#4.  What type of External memory does it take? because the Limited Editon PS3's and most/some 80GB PS3's take Flash Cards SD slot Cards AND Memory Sticks. so what does the 360 use?

_______

Now that thats done, i'd like to openly admit i may not be a console fanboy...but...i am an HD Fanboy so...sorry Wii dudes no offence, just wanted to get that out of the way aswell. in before anyone gets smart I still love the PS2 even though its last gen so dont bring that up lol!

1) I guess the question is what other genres do you like? It's hard to reccomend games in genres you may, or may not, care about at all. There's the obvious non-FPS/TPS list of games like Viva Pinata, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Beautiful Katamari, and the like. But let us know what genres you like, and other system(s) you own. There are tons of great multi-plats and exclusives that you may like.

2) For JRPGs, absolutely. The arcade model is PERFECT for JRPGs.

3) Yes and no. I've played ever JRPG on an SDTV and an HDTV (my old computer monitor). The games are playable (unlike Dead Rising), but the text is small enough to be, at times, fusterating. Optimally, a HDTV will give you awesome preformance, as the text and maps will be much sharper. To tier JRPGs in terms of HDTV importance:

Needs HDTV:

Tales of Vesperia

Blue Dragon (not as much as ToV)

Certainly Helps:

Lost Odyssey

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom

Doesn't need (as bad):

Eternal Sonata

Enchanted Arms

Culdcept Saga

My sugguestion: Buy the VGA cable for the X360, and use your closest available computer monitor. It gives you crystal-clear HDTV beauty on the cheap. I used an old early-2000 monitor (paid $80 for the refurb monitor in like 02), and it gets amazing resolution that helps a ton for ToV and BD. It's one of the best kept secrets of the X360: You can get superb HDTV resolution for sub-$40 in most every country. I've been using my monitor for well over a year, and you will be amazed by the enhancement(s) you get from your games from such a miniscule price.

4) The X360 supports, for game saves and critical data, the X360 memory cards and HDD. It also accepts USB drives, but they suffer from limited functionality versus the official MS devices.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

#1- Gears, Gears 2 (of course), Left 4 Dead, Fable 2. Aside from the upcoming, you should pick up: Prey, Dead Rising, Castle Crashers, Geo Wars 2 (All very cheap).

#2- I have a 256 Memory Card for when I travel to family and friends for saved games. It works perfectly, and since their are no mandatory installs, you dont need a hard drive for any of the JRPG's.

#3- My buddy has a SD TV and it works and looks great. Sure, a HDTV looks better, but is not required. My first year as a 360 owner was on an SD TV and it worked out great till I got my HDTV.

#4 - For external memory, you are SOL I believe. I have use a thumb drive to read and store pic's off of, but could'nt use it as a secondary storage for 360 items. You can get a used 20g HD on e-bay/craigslist for $20-30 bucks easy, if you can swing it.

Thanks for "Jumping in" you wont be sorry. Make sure you get Lost Odyssey, and Blue Dragon, I love them.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Shadowblind said:

4. Can't help you here.

You like JRPGs, right? First game you should buy for the 360(ever) is Tales of Vesperia. 

I already got Oblivion for my PS3, aswell as Enchanted Arms, Disgaie 3, and folklore. and i'll be getting Bioshock and Eternal Sonata for my PS3 aswell(Former 360 Exclusives), i met the great "Exclusives" such as Tales of vesperia i've been hearing about left and right.

Is it good? because when it comes to JRPG's i've always been more of a Square Enix/Tri-ace/Level 5/Sega fanboy...the tales series seems odd to me.. lol.. imo..

I guess the question is up to personal preference. If you like ARPGs of the Kingdom Hearts/Star Ocean variety, then yes, Tales of Vesperia is incredible. It's right up there, if not excedes, every other Square Enix ARPG such as Kingdom Hearts and the ilk. If your not a fan of action-based RPGs, it's hard to say if it's that amazing, because the game demands combat strategy (in a similar way that Disagaea requires battle planning).

Otherwise, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are fantastic turn based RPGs. They are incredible in their own rights. Lost Odyssey stands as a great compliment to the older Final Fantasies (VII-X). Although marred by a few technical glitches, is one of the most beautiful JRPGs in recent memory. Blue Dragon is the ultimate fan service JRPG throwback to the mid 90's Squaresoft and Enix JRPGs. It's very reminicent of Dragon Quest games. The battle system is stellar, and Uematsu's soundtrack, if your a fan of his mid-90s work (Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger), is definately top-notch. The game oozes JRPG cliches - both the bad, and the awesome. Oh, and it's $19.99 in many areas.

The X360 WRPGs are also must-haves. Mass Effect is beyond a must-have if you like WRPGs. Although it is definately action-based, and shares many similarities with third person shooters, it's a phenominal game that has better storytelling (for a WRPG) than almost any given JRPG has had in years. It's the pinnacle of WRPG stories, and the last 2-3hrs of gameplay may never, EVER be reached in terms of "OMG" moments. Too Human, 2 Worlds, and the other WRPGs (sans you having Oblivion) are pretty good in their own, various, rights.

I would also suggest the 20gb hard drive if you're itching for one right away. Several places were closing them out for around $25. That's cheaper than buying a memory card. You could also sell the memory card to recoup some of that cost if you were wary about even spending that much.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

Whoa, thanks for the wave of info guys!

One last thing, PS3 has Wi-Fi connection via scaning/routers and that sort of thing, i keep on hearing the 360 has some sort of "brick"? so does that mean i cant get some online gaming without have'n a direct connection?

I wouldnt mind re-buying games like enchanted arms just for the online mode! (Since it seems to be missing in the PS3 version lulz!)

Ummm.

The X360 has an official, ultra-expensive wifi router that costs $99. However, you can use any sort of cheap ($30) wireless router for the X360. So yes, you can get wifi connections, but it does require the purchase of a router.

As for Enchanted Arms online battle system - I guess my question would be finding enough people that still play EM to find someone to battle with --- LOL!. But of course, there are still people that play Phantasy Star Universe on the X360, so go figure (heck, you can still find plenty of people to play Call of Duty 2 on live)