By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Help! My PS3 won't connect to the internet!

I'm trying to connect the PS3 to the internet wirelessly but everytime time I test the connection after putting in the settings it says it failed to obtain the IP adress and that the Key information Exchange timed out. I manually typed the IP address in so I don't get why it won't obtain it. I'm using a Linksys Wireless-N router. I'm hoping for it to be hooked up wirelessly cause the PS3 is in the basement while the router is upstairs. I've tried a bunch of times but it keeps failing. I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone please help?

Edit: Oh, I've had this problem for a while but I just now wanna get online. (cause of LBP)

Edit 2: I've added more details.

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

Around the Network

you must have done something weird. You can't enter a ip address and get that error message.

Start over?

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

DaSimkin said:
you must have done something weird. You can't enter a ip address and get that error message.

Start over?

Well I got it.

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else out there. I'm gonna try clearing everything and enter it in again to see if that works.

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

Yeah, exact same thing was happening to me before I entered it manually, but now I keep getting a DNS error.

Meh, I don't really care until LBP is out :3

What router are you using? Does it work if you connect it via a cable?

I had trouble connecting my PS3 wirelessly but it was the router that was the issue.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Around the Network

I have had these problems before and it only happens when i connect my PS3 directly to the modem, for some reason the PS3 only works if i connect with a router.

Sometimes it depends upon the quality of the signal (although my desk top and laptop are often still reading the WiFi signal). The range of the PS3 WiFi has been a bit more tempermental in my experience.

To rule out your WiFi connection, always try doing a wired connection via ethernet before blaming the router or PS3 WiFi receiver.

If you can connect via ethernet, but the WiFi connection still fails, even when the console is sitting right next to the WiFi router, check to see if your laptop/desktop can still utilize the WiFi connection.

If so, your PS3 settings are incorrect. Start over with your network settings. First question should be whether you have the right address followed by whether you typed it in properly. If you answer no to either, feel free to palm/forehead yourself.

Darn, still didn't work when I re-entered everything, which means I had it right the first time.

@ OkeyDokey,
LBP is also the reason why I need to get hooked to the internet.

@ Bladeneo,
Oh yeah I forgot to mention I'm trying to hook it up wirelessly cause the PS3 is in the basement while the router is upstairs. I'll try using a cable to see if it works, though I really would like it to be wireless. As for type of router it's a Linksys Wireless-N.

@ greenmedic,
Oh yeah I checked the signal strength and it was a measely 40%, but it should still be able to connect, everything else does. (except the DS cause it doesn't work with WPA which sucks cause I've been dieing to play people online in Sonic Rush Adventure.)

I'd like to attempt to help you out but I'm not really sure of the problem by the way you explained it. Anyway you can explain it more elaborately? Are you getting a specific error message? Can you get on at all or only partly for a few moments before being booted? What method are you using when you get the error WiFi or Wired?

Have you tried different IP addresses, or just one. If you tried just one it may be being used by another machine. Why cant you use DHPC? Its usually much less fo a hassle. Also make sure your subnet mask and DNS are entered correctly.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling