By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The DOS gaming thread

I really can't believe that no one has mentioned Dangerous Dave.

Around the Network

I played most of my DOS favourite games on Win95 and ME.
The ones I can remember with no effort are Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Hexen, Ultima Underworld, Terra Nova, Gobliins, Scorched Earth, Syndicate, Magic Carpet 2...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
I played most of my DOS favourite games on Win95 and ME.
The ones I can remember with no effort are Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Hexen, Ultima Underworld, Terra Nova, Gobliins, Scorched Earth, Syndicate, Magic Carpet 2...

Win95, Win98, and ME were still based off of MS-DOS, so DOS games naturally still worked for those systems. Newer versions of Windows are built upon NT, thereby existing as the sole operating system for the computer. DOS programs don't work correctly on such systems and you need an emulator for those situations, such as DOSbox.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Yes, I think that if and when I'll feel nostalgic, I'll end up playing them on emulators under Linux, as I use it more often than Win 2000 on the desktop and XP on the notebook. Right now this won't happen very soon for lack of time, in my spare time I still have to finish some Windows games, I have also to reinstall Planescape: Torment to undo a patch that doesn't persuade me.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

thetonestarr said:

Growing up, I didn't own an NES. I had no Atari, and the Master System was nowhere to be found at my home.

But I was an extraordinarily avid videogamer.

Enter the PC. DOS gaming was the pinnacle of gaming to me. Commander Keen, Sim City 2000, Jill of the Jungle, Arkanoid, Prince of Persia, Star Goose, Wacky Wheels, Bio Menace, and many, many more. DOS games are where it's at. I owned 'em all.

I recently downloaded a torrent to recover all the dozens of old DOS games I used to own, and I got a frontend for DOSbox to make it easier to load 'em, so I'm getting back into all the great classics. =)

Discuss.

You are a few thousand short my friend ;)

My favorite DOS game of all time....

Around the Network

WarCraft
DOOM
Space Hulk
Hexen

Those were some of my favorites, good times back in the day. I was just a little kid for the DOS era but my dad still let me play all the games. Having a PC gaming dad ftw!

PC Gamer

It's not a DOS game, but it's still as old as many, so here works anyhow.

But yeah, I just got Starcraft and began trying it out. I'm liking what I've done so far. I've been playing it using a shell so I can have it windowed, then I'm using different screen resolutions to change the size of the window.

Since I have dual monitors, that's the best way to have a movie or TV ep playing on one monitor, full-screen, while having a game going full- or near-full-screen on the other monitor.

It's good times. =)

SW-5120-1900-6153

A lot of great games in this thread.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

TheRealMafoo said:
thetonestarr said:

Growing up, I didn't own an NES. I had no Atari, and the Master System was nowhere to be found at my home.

Enter the PC. DOS gaming was the pinnacle of gaming to me. Commander Keen, Sim City 2000, Jill of the Jungle, Arkanoid, Prince of Persia, Star Goose, Wacky Wheels, Bio Menace, and many, many more. DOS games are where it's at. I owned 'em all.

I recently downloaded a torrent to recover all the dozens of old DOS games I used to own, and I got a frontend for DOSbox to make it easier to load 'em, so I'm getting back into all the great classics. =)

Discuss.

You are a few thousand short my friend ;)

My favorite DOS game of all time....

The first computer game I ever purchased and still one of my favorites.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

thetonestarr said:

Discuss.

-What front end is this and where did you get it from? I'd like some way of making DOSbox easier to use becasue my DOS skills are very poor :(

OT:a few I liked:

Fragile Allegiance

Shadow Warrior

Worms

Duke Nukem 3D

Dune

So many great games

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 3308-4850-9342 / STEAM ID: makepeacefox

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

"Watchmen" is far better than The Dark Knight / Why does no-one own this wonderful game: Fragile Allegiance? / Speak (Type) Italian to me!

Disloyal member of the LFGM