By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The DOS gaming thread

Growing up, I didn't own an NES. I had no Atari, and the Master System was nowhere to be found at my home.

But I was an extraordinarily avid videogamer.

Enter the PC. DOS gaming was the pinnacle of gaming to me. Commander Keen, Sim City 2000, Jill of the Jungle, Arkanoid, Prince of Persia, Star Goose, Wacky Wheels, Bio Menace, and many, many more. DOS games are where it's at. I owned 'em all.

I recently downloaded a torrent to recover all the dozens of old DOS games I used to own, and I got a frontend for DOSbox to make it easier to load 'em, so I'm getting back into all the great classics. =)

Discuss.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

DOS games were amazing. I remember I had
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia 2
The Secret of Monkey Island
Sim Farm
Sim City 2000
Jill of the Jungle
FIFA 94
King's Quest V
and probably a lot more

Brings back some memories

My favorite games were

Sim City 2000
Scorched Earth
Jill of the Jungle
Corncob 3D
Wolfenstein 3D
Jazz Jackrabit (we got this with our first computer, which was a 486)

I even had an old XT that we got from my neighbor that had like all of 512KB of memory and we set it up as a dedicated gaming machine with the likes of Pac-man, Frogger, and all sorts of other arcade games.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I can't believe I didn't put Wolf 3D, Scorched Earth and Jazz Jackrabbit in my list. Probably if someone posts his games I'll see others I missed

Around the Network

I never played a DOS game before.....Is it sorta like QBasic? I played some of those games...

supermariogalaxy said:
I never played a DOS game before.....Is it sorta like QBasic? I played some of those games...

If you're using Windows XP:

Start->Run-> Type:

cmd

and hit enter.

That's DOS. It's an operating system like Windows, only without a GUI but a command line prompt.

Try it, use cd.. to exit a directory, cd "directory" to open it, and tiype the filename to open an executable. Whatever you do, don't type "format c"

zexen_lowe said:

I can't believe I didn't put Wolf 3D, Scorched Earth and Jazz Jackrabbit in my list. Probably if someone posts his games I'll see others I missed

I'm sure I'll do the same if other people post. I had this one game on the XT where there were two 2 single-prop planes that dog fight in a 2D field. I don't remember what it was called, but I think it was something along the lines of Red Barron or something like that.

I crashed into the ground more than I shot people

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I obviously loved Wolf 3D, Scorched Earth, and Jazz Jackrabbit, myself...

...but those are all givens. =|

SW-5120-1900-6153

Nevermind this post. =p

SW-5120-1900-6153