By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - alot of complaints on Crysis warhead about drm

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-15775-Crysis-Warhead/dp/B001ATHKVC?&camp=212361&creative=383957&linkCode=waf&tag=vgch-20

the game got 1.5 stars because 30 people gave it a 1. This drm is going to ruin the sales of crysis warhead, so crytek is going to go consoles now. Great job EA!

Around the Network

Warhead is coming out on Steam, it'll have great sales there, but I'm glad people are getting all pissy over DRM, it's a really bad move on the part of PC game makers and publishers.

I'm all for some kind of protection, but DRM is doing it all wrong. The PC industry needs to takes it cues and ripoff Steam's idea.

I don't think that kind of DRM is going to be absent on Steam either. I believe Bioshock, for example, still had it's DRM even on the Steam version.

God this DRM thing is annoying. However, I read that EA is going to make it so you can deactivate an install now (with Spore at least).

http://kotaku.com/5050860/ea-to-loosen-spore-install-restrictions-reveals-sampling-of-spore-activations

Steam DRM i can live with because i can still play games online, i can install them on any computer i want, and i can reinstall as much i want to. Hell, thanks to steam i was able to move a lot of my games very easily after i upgraded my pc. I have spent the past hour looking for my old discs and putting in codes again to play Dawn of War again. With steam I just downloaded the games ( at 1mb/s the games dont take that long, plus i can do other stuff in the mean time)

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3

axumblade said:
*sigh* does the DRM actually screw up the computer or something? I don't know why everyone hates it so much so could someone clarify?

DRM is hated because it reduces the control you have over your purchases. Some DRM is much more restrictive than others (which is why some people don't mind Steam). For example, Spore contained DRM that only allowed you to do 3 installations before you were locked out and needed to call EA in the hope they would allow you to install it again. It is THEIR decision if you are allowed to install your game. While EA might not go out of business anytime soon, imagine you've purchased a title which in 5 years time you want to replay, but you can't install it because of the DRM, and the company that produces the game is no longer in business to allow you to play it.

Personally I don't like Steam either. While generally people haven't been bitten by it, I dislike the fact that Valve has complete control over whether I can play games I have purchased. I've heard of cases of people who have breached the TOS for a single game, and because every game the have bought is linked to a single account, once their account was disabled, not only did they lose access to the game they breached, but also every other title. When you "buy" a game from steam, you are actually subscribing to the service (hence they can cancel your subscription...)

DRM also removes the rental/resale market (and in my opinion, the main target of DRM). No longer can you buy a game and once you have finished it, sell it later. You also can't purchase a game, your mate purchase a different game, and when you are both done, lend the games to each other.

To top it all off, DRM only affect legit consumers as well. Pirates aren't stuck with any of these hassles because the crackers work around all this stuff. So the pirates not only get the game for free, but get a better product than those who have spent money on it.

Around the Network

Whoa, I was going to buy it, but if I can only install it a few times then I'll keep my dollars for other things. 

Long live Piracy then :D

Seriously, why hassle your consumers, decision making morons

saibotex said:

They aren't morons at all. Limitations put on the buyers means more sales to them.

Something like this. You buy a sound track and really like 1 of them tunes and want to put it into your celphone for ring tone. They'll sell you the ring tone for another 2 bucks. So, you're paying twice for the same product, that is.

Another is the resale market. The longer the product stay alive, the less they can sell. So, by making your purchase die over time faster than it should, they could resell the same item since they don't have to compete with the second hand market.

A lot of these reasons look very very good on paper. Excessive use could backfire. See Spore on Amazon.

DRM, on the surface, looks to be use for combatting piracy. That never worked and never will. They know it but using that as an excuse anyway.

The real reason for DRM is to sell as much as they could. If they can make you buy the same product 10 times, they sure as well will. And that is why a lot of people are upset.

I'm upset by this, but what can PC owners do but either pirate the game or refuse to buy it? I've never pirated a PC game and never will and I want this game, so I'm 'stuck' putting up with the stupid limitations. I just wish there was another way.

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

Galaki said:
saibotex said:

They aren't morons at all. Limitations put on the buyers means more sales to them.

Something like this. You buy a sound track and really like 1 of them tunes and want to put it into your celphone for ring tone. They'll sell you the ring tone for another 2 bucks. So, you're paying twice for the same product, that is.

Another is the resale market. The longer the product stay alive, the less they can sell. So, by making your purchase die over time faster than it should, they could resell the same item since they don't have to compete with the second hand market.

A lot of these reasons look very very good on paper. Excessive use could backfire. See Spore on Amazon.

DRM, on the surface, looks to be use for combatting piracy. That never worked and never will. They know it but using that as an excuse anyway.

The real reason for DRM is to sell as much as they could. If they can make you buy the same product 10 times, they sure as well will. And that is why a lot of people are upset.

And they would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling file sharers!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.