By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RPGFan reviews an import copy of Persona 4 - 94%! RPG of the Year for sure!

Kasz216 said:
Khuutra said:
Kasz216 said:
Riachu said:
zexen_lowe said:
Riachu said:
RPGFan aren't always reliable. They gave Lost Odyssey a 75% when I think that game deserves an 85%. Even so, they aren't the first ones to say that Persona 4 is awesome(that title belongs to 1UP). Western critics seem to like Persona 3 and 4 more than Japanese critics.

Of course they aren't flawless (they overrated Dragon Quest VIII and Kingdom Hearts I) but in general they do reviews that are pretty similar to my tastes (for example, they are one of the few sites that gave Suikoden V the score it deserves, in the high 90's), so I tend to trust them, and I know that they review according to what a JRPG player wants, they won't rate down a game "because it has too many cutscenes" or because it has random battles" like a more general gaming site would

The random battle complaint is more valid than you think.  A lot of the JRPGs with random battles tend to have high encounter rate.  I find it more tolerable in LO because the encounter rate in that game is low.

Random Encounters was one of the biggest problems i had with a lot of RPGS.

I mean... they have had Random Encounters where you could see and try and avoid the monsters since at least the NES.

Heck, SQUARE was doing it in other RPGS on the SNES.

I can't figure why they stuck with the invisible step encounters on their main franchise.

They didn't.

What? Stick with it... they did until like FF11... which was way unnessesary.

Or have monsters on map in their other RPGs?  Cause they did.  Chono Trigger for one.

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant "stuck with invisible step encounters on their main franchise" in such a way that ignored the fact that FFXII abandoned it.

I'll admit to being enough of a snob that I don't consider FFXI a Final Fantasy proper.

Around the Network

If it is totally broken and people love it, then why the hell would we fix it? At least this time there are some "new" things like real dungeons and controlling your party members.

Can I really blame Atlus? If the worst game in the series is one of the best sellers, then they must feed the fanbase more of this shit.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."