By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bruce Everiss gets owned.......again

http://slapstic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40:why-microsofts-xbox-360-will-not-outsell-nintendos-wii

why the 360 wont outsell the wii

Last Monday, seekingalpha.com posted an article by one Bruce Everiss, who claimed that the 360 is destined to outsell the Wii, despite the fact that the system has done the complete opposite of that since day one. He also made claims that the "XBOX 720" would be out by next November, and that the console is gaining a foothold in Japan, both of which are pretty much ridiculous.

While it's easy to simply point out holes in Bruce's logic all day long, instead I've decided to jot down some logical reasons that the Wii will outsell the 360 by a mile this generation. I don't really like the Wii MORE than the 360, and I own both. I've just accepted reality, unlike some fanboys. So here's how it'll REALLY happen:

Look at the DS. It sells half a million units every month despite the fact that there's a much more powerful alternative, the PSP, on the market. No one doubts that it'll continue to do so. It does this NOT by appealing exlusively to hardcore players (like the 360). It appeals to both. With games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Boom Blox, Fire Emblem, and Mario Kart Wii gracing the system, it's a pretty close-minded thing to say that "the Wii doesn't appeal to the hardcore." Those games (excluding Fire Emblem, which is pretty hardcore) are fun for everybody. Every gamer should want a Wii, even if it's just to go along with their 360 if they're a hardcore gamer.

Millions of people just want Wii Fit and Wii Sports. That's been proven time and time again. Those millions of people aren't going to EVER buy a 360, plain and simple.

IF sales actually started to lag on the Wii, Nintendo could drop the price practically as low as they want. It's not as if they're stuck with the current price point even if they start losing sales to the now-cheaper 360. The only reason they haven't lowered the price is because they outsell the competition 2-1 with the current price point, so why bother? If the price of the Wii got lowered to around $150, Nintendo's dominance be multiplied by insane numbers.

Finally, when it comes to some foreign markets (namely Japan) the 360 doesn't, and never will stand a chance against the Wii. It'll never happen. The Japanese like their meals home-cooked. That's not likely to change.

So, in general, the article from seekingalpha was poorly thought out and a bit illogical. I love my 360, but I'm not going to pretend that it can make up the 50% difference in sales numbers between it and the Wii, ESPECIALLY when the Wii has gained that big of a lead on the 360 after starting a full year late into the competition. What do you readers think?

some people replied intelegently to this:

You hit the nail on the head. Something alot of people hate to admit but yeah
Wii will be this generations console leader. It will be that for those specific
reasons u named.

others did not

FACT...after 2 or 3 games TOPS people don't buy Wii console's.( personly i stopped buying wii consoles after 0 ganes lolz) FACT people who buy XBOX 360's buy countless games for the system...BECAUSE THEY'RE ACTUALLY FUN
AND 'LONG LASTING' GAMES. I own all three next gen consoles, and I own 1 PS3
game, 3 Wii games, and many 360 games because they hold they're value. Thank
you XBOX for not be a console for small children and women, aka those who do not
spend money on games after the initial purchase. The Wii is a fad, I'm sorry I
own one, and know that within 2 years everyone else will finally realize the
same thing. It's too bad fake excitement has so many people fooled, but hey us
americans eat up marketing like none other.

AND THEN BRUCE HIMSELF REPLIED!: Soon, in 12 or at most 24 months, Nintendo will stop making the Wii and will
instead be making its replacement, the SuperWii.
The 360, however, has another
7 or 8 years life left in it. It is already cheaper than the Wii and sales have
rocketed on the price drop. It will become cheaper and cheaper over the 7/8
years and will sell massively in countries like China and India.

Your article
assumes that I am talking about this year or maybe next. Look at my article and
you can see quite clearly that I am talking about lifetime sales.

im sorry, super wii in 12 moths? 360 will go on for another 8 years and sell massively in India? plus how much cheaper does he think 360 can get? how wrong can you be?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

Nice response. I don't think anyone takes Bruce Everiss's opinion seriously.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Wow, that Bruce guy sure is an idiot.

I think alot of game bloggers commit borderline trolling as their means to gaining fame. I've read a few of his uninsightful articles on his site. In fact, he comes across as a complete shill.

His opinions are as stimulating as the baking soda in my fridge.

Obi-Wan: I felt a great disturbance in the Industry, as if millions of fanboys suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.