By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiBoard Possibilities

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I wasn't very impressed with the demo of the Balance Board at the conference.  However, if things go well for the peripheral (i.e,  lots of people buy it) and if developers can appreciate the technology, then perhaps Nintendo may be on to something.  I doubt Shigeru would be as excited for it if it didn't have implications beyond exercise games.

To begin...someone (either here or at IGN) mentioned the idea of the board being used in a skiing game.  This would be like those skiiing simulators we see at the arcades.

With the assistance of the nunchuck the pad could simulate walking vs. running.  Granted this is exercise game fodder, but I would appreciate the ability to get a workout playing a little RE 4.  Being out of breath and scared to death could have an exilirating effect.

A third way it could be used would really bring a game like rock band to a new level.  We already have the ability to use the wiimotes as drumsticks.  The wiiboard could be the foot pedal for hi hat and bass drum. So the possibilities for a drum machine simulator are wide open now.

I'm still afraid, though.  I'm concerned that thisbalance board could go the way of the dance mat or any of the other product specific peripherals that get used for a handful of titles and become gimmicky.  This is the beauty of the wiimote strategy.  They have made motion control standard so it becomes the norm on the system rather than an underused accessory.

Only time will tell.  Let's hope the developers have a little insight and guts to take the wii to the next level of interactivity.