By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720 drive configuration prediction

I predict that the 720 will have a dual SKU situation with the following:

1.) Arcade-like unit: DL only to save manu. costs.  Most casuals are not big DLs anyway.  I could see a USB drive with XB/X360 compatibilty as an "upgrade" accessory.

2.) Elite-like unit: Flash-based HDD with a proprietary Microsoft high def DVD format.  This puts them at an advantage by avoiding the Blu-ray forum liscensing costs.

With this dual SKU 720, MSFT can reduce confusion a cost for the Arcade potentially gaining more casuals.  The Elite will be future proof and highly expandable like the PS3.

Around the Network

It will cost them more to install a big flash drive than it will to have a Blu-Ray drive. I think you guys are all overestimating how much the licensing fee on a Blu-Ray drive currently is and how much it will be in a few years.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

OK. That's a neat prediction.

I'll take that with a side of fries.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Thanks Commando. What kind of fries--McDonald's or Wendy's?

Burger King!
or Arby's curly fries.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Around the Network

ms won't make the mistake of sepperating the userbase again like they did this gen by not including an hdd in every sku

if there's more than 1 sku it will be differences in hdd space and what comes bundled with the console (cables etc)