By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - why do u play video games? curious to know other ppl's opinion on video games

I have been playing games since age 0, just for fun.

Now you're playing with power!
Now you're playing with power. Super Power!
Now you're playing with power. Portable Power!

Touching is good.  Touch Me

Around the Network

several reasons for me

first off - entertainment. and to be specific - its entertainment where i dont necessarily need to pay attention to storyline to enjoy, but always gives me the option of listening to it if i chose to do so. Likewise, i don't care much for top notch graphics either - no surprise my first next gen console was the Wii (and later the 360).

second - social aspect. Due to pokemon i met two of my closest friends in life. Due to Maplestory I've met another. It's with games that i find it easiest to connect with, since i don't talk much - it gives us something to talk about while simultaneously giving us something to do. I can honestly say if it wasnt for videogames i wouldn't be the same person i am today (different friends, something else to occupy my excess time).

third - time consumer. i dont like to do much, and videogames occupy that time nicely.

fourth - it is my source of mental stimulation other than my classes. Yes, i do consider it "mental stimulation" when devising strategies for my RPGs and other games, when i need to plan everything just right, and when i need to solve a puzzle. meh if thats not enough for others, its fine for me.

lastly, price - i dont enjoy most reading (the world of fiction is lost upon me when presented in text form.....which is why i cant play games like marrowind or oblivion, say what you will). meaning that other media would be movies pretty much. 10 bucks for something that will only last about an hour and a half disaapoints me, when i get 100+ hours out of just about any RPG i buy, and at the bare minimum 10+ hours from the majority of the game. In other words, after the startup cost of the console it tends to be far cheaper at time / hour then my other options (this is also the same reason why i dont like heavenly sword. I realize its a great game, but ~3 hours of gameplay comes down to 20 bucks an hour. that irritates me)

hm...i wrote quite a bit. and i didnt even mention how it's because of videogames that i got interested into technology, which is likely to be my future area of employment. Viva la videogame?

um..stuff