By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 controller problem. Please help.

Ever since 3 days ago my controller will not sync with the PS3 unless I connect it with the USB cable first.

I have tried resetting the controller with the reset button in the back.

I have tried resetting my PS3 settings.

If I plug it in first and connect I can then use it wireless and it works fine, but once I turn the system off I need to do it all over again. Strange that I can use it to turn on the PS3 but without the cable I can't use it to do anything else.

I heard sometimes the file that stores the controller sync data can become corrupt, but how would I fix that without an update?

It is not a huge deal since I can just plug it in first, but it is kind of annoying.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Weird, first time I've heard something like this... only thing I can think of is formatting the harddrive but I'm sure you would rather just be annoyed.

LOL MATURE said:
Weird, first time I've heard something like this... only thing I can think of is formatting the harddrive but I'm sure you would rather just be annoyed.

A few people on the Playstation forums had the same issue but when they did a system update (1.9, long time ago) it said the system file for the controller sync was corrupt and it fixed the issue.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=1745666&view=by_date_ascending&page=3

In my case however, I can not update right now as I am on the most current version. It was working fine, I played some Disgaea 2 on it, the next day... BAMMM!!! Pain in the ass syndrome.

BTW, I really wouldn't want to reformat... too much updates to then download, SOOOOO much of my UT3 mods lost (over 100+ mods), it would be so horrible. :(

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Could you get an update from the internet and use a flash drive to load it up on your ps3?

^How could I possibly update if my current version is the most recent?

Currently playing:

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

wait for a another update or do a full system restore.

use backup feature first.

Euphoria14 said:

I've never used flash drive I was wondering if the that would just overwrite the old version.

I had a similar issue. If I let the controller get a full charge, that would usually correct the problem. I have sense bought a dual shock 3 controller and have had no problems what so ever.

^Dual Shock 3 is the one giving me the problems.

Anyone here play UT3 PS3 by the way?

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:

^Dual Shock 3 is the one giving me the problems.

Anyone here play UT3 PS3 by the way?

nuh, i am addicted to metal gear online though