By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you expect the PS3 to, eventually, 'pull a PSP' in Japan?

We all know how the PS3 is pitiful so far in its native land, only doing 8K/9K a week...there have been some spikes due to MGS4, DMC4, etc...but they die down so quickly it´s almost a moot point.

Now, we´ve seen how the PSP 2000, Monster Hunter, etc... gave the little system a permanent boost in Japan...it´s back to the DS outselling it, but it´s selling much better than before on a consistent and regular basis, unlike the PS3, whose spikes usually last only for one week.

With that said, is there any game that can give the PS3 a permanent boost and revival in Japan?....FFXIII, perhaps?...or White Knight Story? (WKS is a new IP, so it´ll be harder, but not impossible).

I guess a slim PS3 would help a good deal, but it doesn´t look like it´ll be coming anytime soon.

Around the Network

Once a killer app or two hit, it will happen. Thats a big if though. Final Fantasy XIII, Little Big Planet, White Knight Story, and EyePet all have chances. Team ICO's project maybe, but Sony still needs to wrap its head around the casual / Japanese market for the relaunch and redesign.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

I think that ps3 will get a price cut in march and with the White knight chronicles release the Final fantasy 13 demo and Resident evil 5 will boost it sales really well but for ps3 sake hopefully it wont go down to 10k again but weekly 20k.

I would say Gran Turismo 5 or FFXIII.

FFXIII

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

Yes, but it won't sell as well as the PSP. I can see the PS3 selling between 20k and 30k weekly.

Final Fantasy XIII will give a huge boost to the PS3, but there need to be other, smaller games to keep the system interesting, otherwise FF XIII will give a MGS effect, only bigger. Prices have to be reduced (although previous PS3 price drops have proven that this isn't very importan for the Japanese gamer, they want games).
I also think Sony should aim for a casual audience, just like they are doing in Europe. Singstar, LBP etc. won't be very popular because they are western games (a real shame), but their Japanese studios should be able to make something.

I don't think so, there is one killer App arleady MGS4 and it does not seem to have much effect overall on Japan. LBP also wont be nowhere near as big as MGS4, the only possible games that could have effect are FF XIII and FF XIIIv but they not released for ages, RE5 in its current form is an action game , so i dont really know(it will have effect but not pernament). Consoles this generation are as big as handhelds in Japan, and only the Wii seems to keep nice numbers.

All depends on software. Once we see some Japanese made exclusive software then probably. Now the likelihood of that happening...

Didn't Sony have some agreements with Japanese developers for the creation of a few exclusive games like Namco and someone else. I could be wrong but I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Out of the 3 'Sony Computer Entertainments' (SCEA, SCEE, SCEJ), SCEJ seems to be really slow and almost inactive....hoping they´ll have big surprises at TGS other than the rumored Team Ico title.

Yes. Am thinking FFX13. White Knight Should push some decent HW but won't be that permanent boost...

4 ≈ One