By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Motorstorm fans who are upset with the Motorstorm 2 Demo, Don't Fret!

http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/motorstormcompare.jpg

A few weeks ago, I made a PAX thread where I made mention that Motorstorm 2 was one of my "Best Of" titles.  I praised its graphics, frenetic gameplay, and the twists made to the original title that made it stand out.  I hyped the game up, and wanted to relay to the community that the game had really turned a corner.  I downloaded the demo on the PSN this week and said "What the fuck...?"

This was the absolute worst demo of the title.  None of the new gameplay elements were put in.  Literally.  There was no lava / water environmental reaction.  The track did not deform.  It was making me question my memory.  I thought I was going crazy.  However, the two big omissions were these two:

A-The track shown in the demo was the absolute worst track Evolution Studios could have shown off.  All the new environmental effects, gameplay elements (the lava, the water), and the selection was absolutely horrid.  It was gray, mundane, and very uncharacteristic of the demo I played. 

B-The graphics DID NOT LOOK anywhere near as good as the demo shown at PAX.  The lighting engine was completely off, the foilage wasn't reacting properly, and the textures were all over the place.  The demo shown at PAX that was 80% done, looked completely different.

I didn't want to post this without any proof, but today I found an article online that compared the demo off of PSN to an 80% build.  If the picture does not end up looking right click here: http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/motorstormcompare.jpg

So if your on the fence and are upset, don't worry guys, the demo I played was impressive.  This POS they put on PSN is not representative of the game.  So all of you on the fence, or dismayed, don't be so hard.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Around the Network

Im so dissapointed, that demo was somewhat fun, but the visuals were lacking.

mM

Those left pictures looks way better.

Question.... Why would they put a demo out there and make it half ass?

You wanna have your opinion, then you have to respect different opinions as well.

leo-j said:
Im so dissapointed, that demo was somewhat fun, but the visuals were lacking.

Its ironic, because if you watch any of the Gamersdye videos, the game looks completely different.  At PAX people were redolently impressed with the game.

The demo does show off one big improvement.  The foilage / and destruction of your vehichle is vastly improved.  The gameplay is also tweaked for your play style.  Cars don't break like crazy, but the track sucks balls.

Around the Network
ozsman said:
Question.... Why would they put a demo out there and make it half ass?

I wish I could tell you.  But we have seen terrible demos in the past.  The Resistance 1 demo was pure garbage as well.

Maybe its because this was an old build?

The official demo release is a month from now

mM
leo-j said:

I don't know if you bought a PS3 at launch, but if you remember the changes Motorstorm underwent from the original PSN demo to the Japanese Release to the official US release, it was leaps and bounds of changes.  That original Motorstorm demo was also a thrown together POS.

I think Evolution Studios is alot like Insomniac.  If you listen to the Full Moon Show, they mention that graphical polish is the last thing that goes into development.  The official demo probably won't be any different, the developer's are on the last home stretch, and the thing they are concerned about is getting the game out the door.  From what I saw Leo, if you liked the original Motorstorm, you will like the second one.

You guys have to remember, Yoshida is now in charge of Sony. There is a very strict quality control conjecture inside the company.

talkingparrot said:
leo-j said:

I don't know if you bought a PS3 at launch, but if you remember the changes Motorstorm underwent from the original PSN demo to the Japanese Release to the official US release, it was leaps and bounds of changes.  That original Motorstorm demo was also a thrown together POS.

I think Evolution Studios is alot like Insomniac.  If you listen to the Full Moon Show, they mention that graphical polish is the last thing that goes into development.  The official demo probably won't be any different, the developer's are on the last home stretch, and the thing they are concerned about is getting the game out the door.  From what I saw Leo, if you liked the original Motorstorm, you will like the second one.

You guys have to remember, Yoshida is now in charge of Sony. There is a very strict quality control conjecture inside the company.

Yes I bought a ps3 in 2006.

Also (goes on rant) insomniac delivers on everything, they are real AAA developers, never delay a game, match pre rendered targets with real time gameplay, they never fail.

Anyhow, I think evolution studios made a bad decision especially with more competition this holiday season, they should have released a more polished demo, because I as a gamer have to decide between tons of games releasing this holiday season, and if I get a demo of one of the games im trying to decide on whether to buy or not, and it sucks. I wont buy it.

mM

I don't even have the demo...