By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - USA election = Choosing a new captain for the Titanic?

Pakistan army pledges to 'protect territorial integrity' from U.S. incursions

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20080912/wl_mcclatchy/3043952_1

At least Obama and Palin support cross-border attacks, is it also the case with McCain?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

In my opinion, the interesting thing is American's are living in a time where they can prevent their eventual collapse and yet it is still going to happen ...

I'd heavily advise putting your money into European markets because American and Asian markets are less sustainable. America's economy is headed for disaster, and with more Bush/McCain policies or Obama not being able to change the tide, there is no reason to believe things will get better.

China's economy is dependent on trade with America, and with America becoming more and more poor China's economy will significantly slow down. Europe will also be hurt by America dragging them down, but they are much more sustainable than China.

akuma587 said:
Nah, the federal reserve is badass. They know way more about the economy than Congress, and if anyone's power over the economy should remain intact it is the Federal Reserve, not Congress.

That sounds like a joke post. Anyways, I am not saying that congress should have "control" of the economy, but they have the constitutional authority to do so. I know it is a contentious issue, but the Fed does not have the constitutional authority. And if there is anything that can rival government's horrible fiscal policy, it is the Fed's horrible monetary policy.

The US is not going to decline in the next so many decades. Other nations relative to us may continue to gain influence, but the US itself will not decline. It should remain the premier power in the world for many more decades. And when it finally is not the premier power, it will share the top spots as opposed to today's (arguably) unipolar world.

Jackson50 said:
akuma587 said:
Nah, the federal reserve is badass. They know way more about the economy than Congress, and if anyone's power over the economy should remain intact it is the Federal Reserve, not Congress.

That sounds like a joke post. Anyways, I am not saying that congress should have "control" of the economy, but they have the constitutional authority to do so. I know it is a contentious issue, but the Fed does not have the constitutional authority. And if there is anything that can rival government's horrible fiscal policy, it is the Fed's horrible monetary policy.

The US is not going to decline in the next so many decades. Other nations relative to us may continue to gain influence, but the US itself will not decline. It should remain the premier power in the world for many more decades. And when it finally is not the premier power, it will share the top spots as opposed to today's (arguably) unipolar world.

What makes you so sure? Previous world leaders had far more power and influence over the world before they crumbled, why would America be any different?

Oh, and China's economy is also heavily reliant on the EU, aswell. Cheap Chinese labour is tasty to European fat cats, aswell.

Around the Network

No, the Federal Reserve is one of the few good ideas that politicians had in the last century. We should do everything to preserve it.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

noname2200 said:
akuma587 said:

You see that little dip in the 90's?  That was how much of a difference Clinton was able to make.  I blame politicians like Reagan (see the big jump for when he was president?) who would cut taxes until our country burned to the ground.  Tax cuts will destroy this country's economy, you heard it here first.

Hmm, interesting. If your source is accurate, then it appears that I've been misinformed about the debt. Granted things aren't quite as lopsided as the chart shows. Half the debt is money that the government owes itself, mostly to the Social Security and Medicare programs, each of which can be "erased" with legislation, hence my earlier post, although again good luck finding the political capital to do so. Further, the debt's been higher in relation to GDP (i.e. our ability to actually pay it off) before, notably in the 30's, 40's, and 50's, so we have been through worse debt-wise.

Still, I won't deny that the figures you've brought to the table are impressive, and in a bad way. Call me an optimist, but I still think we can get through this if we're willing to, and that we will get through this in the end. But you are correct that the debt is quite a load to bear. For now, I'll stick to my view that things will be okay in the long-term, although there will be short-term suffering. I concede, however, that things are worse than I had first thought.

meh, same here... BTW, every history professor I have ever had has said there is no movement or need to pay national debt. Instead, it just means the other  country gets it postponed with political/military favors.

akuma587 said:
No, the Federal Reserve is one of the few good ideas that politicians had in the last century. We should do everything to preserve it.

The Federal Reserve isn't much different from most central banks in the world ... its just being run much worse than most central banks.

Most Central Banks have the single mandate to preserve the value of money in the ecconomy, so the ammount of money in the ecconomy is directly related to the current (and expected) rate of inflation. The Federal Reserve has a dual mandate to preserve the value of the dollar and to prevent the ecconomy from going into a recession or a depression. Now, this (generally) means that the Federal Reserve keeps their interest rate so low that people take out large loans and make (foolish) investments, which drives up the value of the investment and generates a bubble; these bubbles have the side effect of threatening market failure when they burst

WTF someone, took down the link to the image I posted!

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

SamuelRSmith said:

What makes you so sure? Previous world leaders had far more power and influence over the world before they crumbled, why would America be any different?

Oh, and China's economy is also heavily reliant on the EU, aswell. Cheap Chinese labour is tasty to European fat cats, aswell.

There are myriad reasons that compel me to believe the US will continue to be the premier power in the world. Compared to likely challengers of US hegemony such as India and the PRC, the US does a better job of stopping soil erosion and sustaining its biodiversity and environment. It needs to continue to improve in these areas, but it is doing relatively well. It continues to lead in science and technology related fields such as nanotechnology and biotechnology. It spends more on total research and development than any other country, and it is near the top in regards to research and development as % of GDP. The US does not display the signs of a country that is going to decline and collapse. I admitted its influence relative to other nations will weaken some, but to maintain that it will collapse is a silly notion.