By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Whistleblower fired over 360 failure article

Robert Delaware was the only named Microsoft worker (a contract employee) who talked — without permission — to VentureBeat for our story last week on the Xbox 360 defects.

Microsoft had him fired on Wednesday. Delaware worked as a game tester at Microsoft but was employed by the temp agency Excell Data. He reported directly to a Microsoft manager, who told him he was being let go because of the VentureBeat article.

Delaware, a 29-year-old Seattle resident, expects to face civil charges from his former employer VMC (which tests games for Microsoft) and Microsoft as well. He will likely have to hire a lawyer. Microsoft spokesman David Dennis said the company does not talk about personnel issues.

“I don’t regret it,” he said in a phone call on Thursday. “I’ll fight it. If they want to come after me, bring it on.”

Full interview here.

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/12/microsoft-fires-game-test-contractor-who-talked-to-venturebeat/

I dont know at the end of the day what company would'nt do that.

There is loyalty involved.

Just my opinion.

Around the Network

Yeah I read that too.

I think this isn't an issue of loyalty to the company... Dude was loyal to the gaming community, and that's why he went on record with it. I think loyalty to peers > loyalty to higher ups. I think we owe something to this guy for putting his bacon on the line for us.

But MS and the contractor company had full right to dismiss him, I think these things usually have NDAs, and he obviously violated that. 

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

This is why you don't violate non-disclose agreements, life is not going to be fun for him in the near future.

He should've done it anonymously. I could have told him he'd get fired for talking to the press. Not smart.

Expect him to 'tumble down the stairs' or 'fall off a bridge onto some spikes' pretty soon.

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

now face the wrath of microsoft

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

If I was writing a piece like that I wouldn't name anyone, even if they wanted to. It's too high of a risk these days... corporations are fanatical about press leaks (specially if the disclosures could lead to increased liability):

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

flagship said:
This is why you don't violate non-disclose agreements, life is not going to be fun for him in the near future.

Exactly my thoughts.

Dolla Dolla said:
He should've done it anonymously. I could have told him he'd get fired for talking to the press. Not smart.

HE DIDN'T?????

What an idiot!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive