By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 20 million PS2 on store shelves out there?

FilaBrasileiro said:
DKII said:
And yes there's a lot of PSPs on shelves, small handheld boxes get set at higher stock levels. If the DS wasn't selling so fast that it couldn't build up a huge inventory you'd see similar there as well.

3.5 million? I'm skeptical.

Here's a link from someone who send me a PM
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html
Basically, through Mar '07 (when FY 06 ends) PS2 shipments = 117.89FY 07 = 13.73Q1FY 08 = 1.51Total shipped (as of June 30th) = 133.13

That´s completely in line with our numbers. 3.5 million is a worldwide number and the PSP is seeing roughly the same amount of sales in each territory. That means there are about 1 million consoles in stock in each major maket which isn´t even that much. You know what the word stockpiling means? Sony won´t raise PSP production by 300% in November / December because that´s nearly impossible. Therefore retailers need a good amount of stock to be able to satisfy Christmas demand. That´s why there is so much stock. The same applies for most other consoles as well.

Around the Network
quaiky said:
psp number looks intersting, 3 millions unsold ones out there is a bit too much in my opinnion. even for small portable devices shops are not stockpiling them that much, else a price drop would hurt them too much. so unless over 2 millions are lieing around in sony warehouses somewhere i don't think that the numbers fit togetehr taht good.

Read my post above. If you think Sony will magically increase PSP production in November to catch up to Christmas demand you could think that 3 million units is a lot but in reality most of those 3 million units will be sold during November-December. You HAVE to stockpile in this business.

FilaBrasileiro said:
DKII said:
And yes there's a lot of PSPs on shelves, small handheld boxes get set at higher stock levels. If the DS wasn't selling so fast that it couldn't build up a huge inventory you'd see similar there as well.

Basically, through Mar '07 (when FY 06 ends) PS2 shipments = 117.89FY 07 = 13.73Q1FY 08 = 1.51Total shipped (as of June 30th) = 133.13

The problem here is the 117.89m was production shipments (includes stockpiled units). They then switched to retail shipments (15.24m), but now they don't have total retail or production shipments on their site. By adding the production and retail shipments you are counting some units twice because some of those production shipments (117.89m) had yet to be sold to retailers, and therefore are also included in the retail shipments (15.24m). From all the different statements (thanks fishy) we can see that total retail shipments through June 2008 should be 131m (rounded off to 1m). It's the same problem for PSP, but through June 2008 different statements suggest retail shipments were 41m (rounded off to 1m). We don't have this problem for PS3 as they have total retail shipments on their site. 

Louie said:
quaiky said:
psp number looks intersting, 3 millions unsold ones out there is a bit too much in my opinnion. even for small portable devices shops are not stockpiling them that much, else a price drop would hurt them too much. so unless over 2 millions are lieing around in sony warehouses somewhere i don't think that the numbers fit togetehr taht good.

Read my post above. If you think Sony will magically increase PSP production in November to catch up to Christmas demand you could think that 3 million units is a lot but in reality most of those 3 million units will be sold during November-December. You HAVE to stockpile in this business.

I don't think retailers would be sotckpiling in June for Christmas. I'm sure Sony are, but those wouldn't be included in their retail shipment numbers, just their production shipment numbers (which we no longer get).

BKK2 said:
Louie said:
quaiky said:

I don't think retailers would be sotckpiling in June for Christmas. I'm sure Sony are, but those wouldn't be included in their retail shipment numbers, just their production shipment numbers (which we no longer get).

Believe me a lot of stores do this. If I remember correctly Xbox 360 shipments have been 5 million units higher than consumer sales at some point. As a manufacturer you try to stuff the channel as much as possible.

Around the Network
BKK2 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
DKII said:

The problem here is the 117.89m was production shipments (includes stockpiled units). They then switched to retail shipments (15.24m), but now they don't have total retail or production shipments on their site. By adding the production and retail shipments you are counting some units twice because some of those production shipments (117.89m) had yet to be sold to retailers, and therefore are also included in the retail shipments (15.24m). From all the different statements (thanks fishy) we can see that total retail shipments through June 2008 should be 131m (rounded off to 1m). It's the same problem for PSP, but through June 2008 different statements suggest retail shipments were 41m (rounded off to 1m). We don't have this problem for PS3 as they have total retail shipments on their site.

Even if that's the case BKK2, 11 million PS2s out there? And I'm sorry Louie, but I don't buy your theory.....I think companies would have 2 million at the most in stores and shelves, and that's pushing it.