By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 Arcade selling for £130!

Too much to quote, so I'll say first @mrstickball that I never said it was desperation, I asked what people think the reasoning is. It's obvious I prefer the PS3 over the 360, but I'm not exactly against the 360.

@xman
Why ask me how it will come back to haunt them when I obviously stated why I think that, and then right after asking me why I wrote that, you came back with a response to what I posted? After re-reading it, that's a long confusing sentence..(the one before this)..

I hope it doesn't haunt them..but I really don't see the Arcade ever getting below $130, to think they would do that is crazy. Then again, I supporse it's a benefit of having $40,000,000,000 in the bank to play with, they can push around whoever they want.

@spiteful whoever
The 360 isn't planning a new system for 'when the PS3 drops it's price'..a new system next year? Give me a break..I don't even know why I responded to this

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
drkohler said:
mrstickball said:

PS3: $350

PS2: $90

XBox360 Arcade: $250

XBox other models: $290

Wii: $95

I fixed your PS3/Wii prices because its unlikely that the Wii costs the same amount as the PS2 as it employs more advanced technology and some more expensive motion controls. Also it was stated recently that the PS3 was still losing money on every console sold.

For the Xbox 360 prices you have to remember that its fixed + variable cost. If they sell 10% more systems then the fixed cost goes down ~10% per system. As the Xbox 360 has increased its sales over last year then obviously the fixed cost per system is reduced.

Xbox 360 Jasper Variable cost reductions.

Components

• Simpler power supply
  • Reduced cooling expenses
  • Reduction in the cost/quantity of power regulation components on the motherboard.
  • Reduction in the cost of manufacturing the GPU/Memory

Manufacturing

• Simpler to manufacture mainboard with fewer defects on average.
  • Reduction in the number of trace lines/solder points.

Support

• Lower failure rate within the 1/3 year warranty periods.
  • Reduced cost of logistics and call centre costs for people calling in to complain.

So likely a Xbox 360 Arcade produced under the Jasper specification is likely costing Microsoft a lot less overall than the Falcon specification

Again, I was estimating pure manufacturing costs. Please do not change other peoples's numbers if you "think it unlikely that something ..". You just have to believe me that I know a lot more than you about industrial mass production of gadgets (having been involved in projects in that area for 25 years).

As for your points made above, here are some notes:

Wii and PS2 are essentially the same thing as far as manufacturing goes. Yes it looks damned cooler when you throw around your arms with sticks attached instead of pushing some buttons (and the _development costs_ were certainly higher for those sticks). But for mass manufacturing the stuff, it doesn't matter whether you make plastic boxes that wiggle in the air or not.

Your other points, components: You save a maximum of 50c on the power supply, if it is worth the effort at all (note that you need all new tools if you change a form factor of a gadget). Various reductions you note. This may come as a terrible surprise to you but component costs are actually going up for various reasons. Higher costs for raw materials, higher transportation costs (just to give you an example: last year you could still ship a standard sea freight container from continent A to B for $4000, currently you pay around $7000, that's a 70% increase), higher personnel cost drive prices up (in case you haven't read it in the newspaper: some chinese manufacturers have been seen moving into Vietnam because labor costs "have become too high in China").

Maunfacturing: In another thread I have given an estimate for the costs for a PS3 motherboard. Believe me or not, if you change the motherboard in any signficant way, manufacturing costs go up initially.  There is maybe room for $1 savings on a bare X360 motherboard (not having examined one, I can't really be sure).

Support: These points are not manufacturing relevant and don't go into the equation.

I would have to examine a Jasper and a non-Jasper (populated) mainboard to estimate the cost reduction, but I doubt we are talking more than a few $. (Note that for PC mainboard manufacturers, a $2-$3 saving over your competitor's motherboard manufacturing costs could already be a life-saving enterprise).

Phrancheyez said:

Why do they feel they need to do this? Are they getting scared of the PS3 for beating them week-over-week so much this year or something? I don't know..130 is low, are they targeting the Wii now? I think this will come back to haunt them honestly.

It'll help them for now, but think about it..if they do that, they're almost as low as they can possibly go. They'll outsell the PS3 by a little bit, but the Wii will still outsell the 360, and probably still by a lot. When the Wii lowers it's price, for the first time none-the-less, it's going to be beating the 360 by even more. And then when the PS3 sees it's first price reduction, it'll break ahead of the 360 again. This being said, both the Wii and the PS3 will still be able to reduce prices..I honestly can't see the 360 being lower than 130..

I think this price will help short term, but severely cripple them long term. Unless they rake in some huge console sales in the short term, I really see this hurting them big in the long run, by the middle-end of next year..anyone else agree with me on this?

Scared much? It's called normal price cuts, the system has been out for three years. Welcome to the world of gaming.

Isuppli lists the cost of a 20gb Xbox 360 @ 320 and the price of the Arcade was ~$280.

November 2006 so thats the Zephyr model I believe.

Note1: The cost of the motherboard is very steep.

This is the cost total cost for a fresh mainboard with everything attached.

Cost scaling since then silicon components:

GDDR3: Unlike the PS3 - the Xbox 360 uses commodity memory, so the costs for this have likely halved in the last two years. GDDR3 is used extensively. The 8 512 mbit chips are still being used in mass production for desktop GPUs.

CPU: Die size has halved. 50% smaller = 50% cheaper if you take into account heat sink cost reductions offsetting the fact that the testing/packaging costs do not scale and assuming a similar yield which is reasonable.

GPU: Costs would have more than halved assuming the same scaling. They are integrating into one chips where there was once two. So the reduction in testing/packaging/manufacturing/heatsink costs are quite significant. Also it removes an important point of failure so the reliability/suport costs would be far lower.

Motherboard: The power supply components on these motherboards are expensive. A typical desktop motherboard has to supply only a CPU as GPUs come with their own power regulation circuitry. An Xbox 360 motherboard is much more complicated than your standard motherboard as it contains the ram/gpu/cpu all on the same board- these changes reduce that complexity.

Cost scalings.

If everything else remains the same except the motherboard costs are halved then according to the above table the Xbox 360 Arcade would cost $180 to manufacture and the 60gb would cost $230 to manufacture.

If the motherboard cost was reduced by 33% then the Arcade would cost $210 and the 60gb would cost $260.

I would pick the 50% reduction in cost because theres still shipping/retailer expense etc to add to it.

@DRKohler - Im basing my points on fairly reliable data and my assumptions follow industry norms.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

Note1: The cost of the motherboard is very steep.

This is the cost total cost for a fresh mainboard with everything attached.

Cost scaling since then silicon components:

GDDR3: Unlike the PS3 - the Xbox 360 uses commodity memory, so the costs for this have likely halved in the last two years. GDDR3 is used extensively. The 8 512 mbit chips are still being used in mass production for desktop GPUs.

CPU: Die size has halved. 50% smaller = 50% cheaper if you take into account heat sink cost reductions offsetting the fact that the testing/packaging costs do not scale and assuming a similar yield which is reasonable.

GPU: Costs would have more than halved assuming the same scaling. They are integrating into one chips where there was once two. So the reduction in testing/packaging/manufacturing/heatsink costs are quite significant. Also it removes an important point of failure so the reliability/suport costs would be far lower.

Motherboard: The power supply components on these motherboards are expensive. A typical desktop motherboard has to supply only a CPU as GPUs come with their own power regulation circuitry. An Xbox 360 motherboard is much more complicated than your standard motherboard as it contains the ram/gpu/cpu all on the same board- these changes reduce that complexity.

Cost scalings.

If everything else remains the same except the motherboard costs are halved then according to the above table the Xbox 360 Arcade would cost $180 to manufacture and the 60gb would cost $230 to manufacture.

If the motherboard cost was reduced by 33% then the Arcade would cost $210 and the 60gb would cost $260.

I would pick the 50% reduction in cost because theres still shipping/retailer expense etc to add to it.

I know the various iSupply attempts at breakdown of the costs. This table is very intersting for those who have insight into the industry because it gives the right numbers for total production costs (at the time of writing), but the manufacturing cost breakdowns are sometimes utterly wrong in the table. I will only point out a few details on the table (I have insight into many of the points listed in the table and I roughly know the real world difference in the manufacturing costs but for obvious reasons cannot disclose where I got my information from). Let's take the line Enclosure/Hardware, by which iSupply probably counts the plastic casing, screws and cables. Now the real world manufacturing costs for the casing for the PS3 are approximately $2, add a few screws and a cable and we are at $2.50 manufacturing costs max. (Also note that iSupply has an additional generic "Manufacturing costs" line. $39 is at least  day pay for a chinese worker slave, and we are not assuming that a chinese worker slave manufactures a lonely PS3 a day....).

Your ideas of power supply costs (and iSupplys ideas) are a bit odd. Of course a PC power supply circuitry is a lot more expensive than one for a console. First of all, a PC regulator circuitry has to handle a lot more power input/output than a console (usually solved with multiple phases designs), it also has to handle it to be programmable (after all, you can set the voltage for your CPU in the BIOS of the PC, I don't think any console does that). Nonethless, we are essentially talking about n times (2 power fets, 1 inductor, 2 capacitors) + no controler chip, so depending on quality we are talking $10-$15 for a console power supply. (Obviously an XBox power supply is slightly more expensive than a PS3 ps because it uses an external brick).

Another common misconception is the cost savings on the CPU and GPU. Usually there are two reasons why these components get smaller. One is a clean redesign that saves transistors (a difficult but sometimes profitable task, as a high-end GPU, for example, may contain several tens of millions transistors just to keep it operational..) More obvious, a die shrink is achieved by going to a new smaller process line, like 65nm -> 45nm. Now mathematically, this shrink will half your costs as the smaller die uses half the area for the same design (provided you can actually do that which, as many engineers have found out the hard way, is not really true). In the real world, you get about 30% savings with a die shrink. And somebody has to fork out a cool $1billion for the new 45nm fab first. If you think that your manufacturer simply tells Sony/MS/whoever: "Hey, we just build a new $1billion 45nm fab so now you pay only half the costs for the 45nm part compared to 65nm parts", then you are up for an ugly surprise).

Ram and HD prices are obviously a little tricky to determine, as they are mainly dependent on how many you order and the delivery due date. For the harddisk, you pay about $21 for a 40G harddidsk under optimum conditions. (Actually, 40G units are no longer offered by manufacturers, due to rising manufacturing costs. They were around $20 for 40,60,80G units but have risen above the $21. So manufactureres had to either increase the prices (and you can be sure at least one manufacturer will not do it to try and gain market share) or simply drop the lowest capacity model. This is the simple reason why the PS3 now comes with a 80G drive, it has nothing to do whatsoever with a Sony exec suddenly having the enlightement that "80G is what consumers want, not 40G"). Memory costs for the PS3 are a bit higher than for the XBox since it uses only 4 GDDR rams but 4 XDR rams which carry a higher patent charge, but again we are talking cents so the real memory price difference is only determined by amount and delivery due date. 

Now the ultimate question is why does iSupply get the right numbers for the wrong reasons, so to speak. This has to do with the subtle (or not so sutle) difference between manufacturing costs and production costs which would be the theme of an entirely different article..

Around the Network

The thing is, this in not really a large price cut, it is only like a £20 price cut