By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Wii Music will NOT be the next great thing

Gamerace said:
yushire said:
Anyway, if Wii Music was succesful and it became a instant million seller then its the end of core gamer as we know it. What we really afraid of, thats why there are many people including me against it.

The everyday ads of Wii Music on gametrailers are annoying though, are those commercials really TV ad for Japan?

I really don't see that being the case.  Assuming I'm wrong and Wii Music sells 20m the rest of the industry still won't understand why.  Look at it this way: The Sims in the best selling game on PC has been for years - yet no one has ever made a competitor to The Sims.  Why?  They don't understand it.

Publishers are a timid bunch - they stick to what they know.  And there's still money to be made in them core gamers, even if many go bankrupt trying to mine it.

Naah... your avvy proves that 3rd parties understands the casual gamer on consoles. And that will be the way for a long time. There are still core gamers but sadly theyre declining if not, then why No More heroes didnt sell while Rayman Raving Rabbids are million seller. Why Mario and Sonic was 5 million in vgchartz so far?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

a game so bad, that makes bread man looks good =(

OP said:
I bucked the trend in saying Wii would be a major success, I bucked the trend saying Wii Fit would be bigger than GTA IV (and it will) and I am again bucking the trend and predicting that Wii Music will be a (relative) flop compared to GH and RB or Wii Fit and Wii Play unless there is more to it than meets the eye (no Transformer pun intended)

I hope wii music is a success; so that you can understand how I feel about every wii game out there.

I hate to be so direct, and I am not judging you or trying to convince you of anything.

But just watch the "mass market" gobble this game up without thinking twice... or at all.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Sky Render said:
You've hit the nail on the head there, yushire. The market is moving into a new cycle, and the core are not the target audience as they were before. There is a new core being formed, from the devoted followers of the Wii series and all of these other entry-level games. And it does scare the core gamers, just as the core gamers of the 1980s were afraid when the NES started to invade the PC market.

The market has changed, and with it, so too must the way we play the game change. Things won't be like this forever, though. The bridges are being built, and a new upmarket is being formed. In time, we will work our way back to where we were before the Wii came along. But just as the console market varied greatly from the PC market, so too will the Wii-born market vary greatly from the traditional console-born market.

My god..!

That is the single greatest post I think I have read this year.

Seriously, Bravo.

@yushire -   Look at Capcom, they've just announced all major titles will now be on 360/PS3/PC. Wii will get support but it seems no major titles. Core gamers buy a lot of games. It's not a problem to sell 1m on PS3/360/PC. The only problem is making a profit off of only 1m games sold on 360/PS3/PC. The development cost is killing many smaller publishers but for larger companies like Capcom it's still their bread and butter.

Nintendo seeks to grow the market so that there's room for everyone: all publishers, all consumers and all games alike, not to put an end to core games. That market will always exist.  But since 'core' gamers love their HD graphics they just won't exist much on Wii.

Around the Network

The opposite of love is indifference. With all the hatred this game has conjured I think a lot of the hardcore gaming community is just showing that they're closeted Nintendo fans. You hate the ones you love as they say.

Much better to show this game indifference and thus make sure it has less publicity if you truly want it to fail.

FaRmLaNd said:
The opposite of love is indifference. With all the hatred this game has conjured I think a lot of the hardcore gaming community is just showing that they're closeted Nintendo fans. You hate the ones you love as they say.

Much better to show this game indifference and thus make sure it has less publicity if you truly want it to fail.

I think you are right, most of the HD crowd grew up with Nintendo. In my case, I have come to expect different things in gaming.

Next gen will be really interesting though, where all systems will most likely be able to have devs create any type of game for that individual system.. whether it be for the core gamers, or the casual crowd. or both simultaneously!

NYANKS said:
It may not flop, and I'm fine with Wii owners wanting an alternative experience in gaming with the Wiimote and how the Wii is supposed to be a revolution, but this game just bothers me. I mean, I don't think it even meets the parameters of a game. There is no point to the game. You don't beat anthing, you don't need to learn any controls, and there is no challenge (from what people have said.) Isn't that like playing air guitar, except it costs money?

That is the best comment about this game I have read yet.

c0rd said:

I noticed the Mario Paint comparison, and while understandable, the big deal about Wii Music is you won't be able to actually control the pitch (is that the right word?) of your music.  If you can play off your own music sheet that you create, though, then any doubts I have about the game go out the window.

I think LBP will be a nice example of how big a deal it is for users to create & play off their own content.

I thought the main purpose of the game was to create your own music and share it with your friends, after all, Miyamoto's love for playing music gave birth Wii Music. That's why I've been saying it will be like Mario Paint, any person can play it, there's no win/lose, just creation and imagination.... but only some people will create amazing things.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Soma said:
c0rd said:

I noticed the Mario Paint comparison, and while understandable, the big deal about Wii Music is you won't be able to actually control the pitch (is that the right word?) of your music.  If you can play off your own music sheet that you create, though, then any doubts I have about the game go out the window.

I think LBP will be a nice example of how big a deal it is for users to create & play off their own content.

I thought the main purpose of the game was to create your own music and share it with your friends, after all, Miyamoto's love for playing music gave birth Wii Music. That's why I've been saying it will be like Mario Paint, any person can play it, there's no win/lose, just creation and imagination.... but only some people will create amazing things.

Unfortunately, that's not what has been shown so far.  Only the ability to 'play' tunes - which means waggling at any speed and the song will play - correctly - at the speed of your waggling.  And the ability to freestyle the instruments.  How well that works is anyone's guess.  No ability to record or truly compose has been shown.