By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why does XP only recognize 2.5 GB of RAM for me?

Oh wait a minute, I see it has an integrated gpahics chip, maybe that's why. How do I turn that off?

Edit-nevermind, that was probably a stupid suggestion.

I'm using A-data 2X2GB RAM I bought from newegg, identical RAM running in dual channel mode.

Around the Network
Shinlock said:
ssj12, he has 512mb, hence it isn't adding up

let me check hunt for a manual for the motherboard.. you might not have the correct memory configuration (ie ram in of different sizes sharing the same channel).

there are 1GB versions of the 8800GT.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Shinlock said:

let me check hunt for a manual for the motherboard.. you might not have the correct memory configuration (ie ram in of different sizes sharing the same channel).

well in my first post, I said I had 512 Mb of VRAM.

I remember on a past computer my motherboard wouldn't recognize 3GB unless the speed of the ram was lowered.

totalwar23 said:

Oh wait a minute, I see it has an integrated gpahics chip, maybe that's why. How do I turn that off?

I'm using A-data 2X2GB RAM I bought from newegg, identical RAM running in dual channel mode.

It's not a stupid question.  I had the same problem with an 8800 GT.

Is it recognizing the GFX card?  Mine wasn't working properly wasn't recognizing the card, I had to download new drivers.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network
totalwar23 said:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Manual&FileID=18570

^^ just been reading your mobo makers manual so yeah I just saw that onboard

in "Advance bios settings" in your bios there is a setting for the onboard video card.. Enable if no Peg and Always enable are the only 2 options, Enable if no peg should be selected.

steven787 said:
totalwar23 said:

It's not a stupid question.  I had the same problem with an 8800 GT.

Is it recognizing the GFX card?  Mine wasn't recognizing the card, I had to download new drivers.

I should hope that my 8800GT is being recognized as I've been playing Crysis on high settings. But even if the integrated graphic isn't being used, would it still take memory?

Shinlock said:
totalwar23 said:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Manual&FileID=18570

^^ just been reading your mobo makers manual so yeah I just saw that onboard

in "Advance bios settings" in your bios there is a setting for the onboard video card.. Enable if no Peg and Always enable are the only 2 options, Enable if no peg should be selected.

Great, I'll restart and try that now, thanks.

totalwar23 said:
ssj12 said:
Shinlock said:

well in my first post, I said I had 512 Mb of VRAM.

true but you could have been mistaken.

Still its probably your motherboard.

Edit: After quick internet search. XP 32-bit's max is 3.5GB so 4GB+512MB = 2.5GB read in XP.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

nope, that didn't work as it was always on enable if no peg.

@ssj12, why would I be mistaken on how much RAM my Video Card has? Newegg would have to be mistaken with me as well as all of the hardware analysis programs I have but yeah, it's probably my motherboard.