By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Interesting article about 'XBox 720'.

colonel, the article doesn´t openly state the PS4 will be out in 2011, it just says "where it might compete with PS4".

For all we know, MS might be desiring to launch its system earlier than the competition again, but with no RROD this time, of course.

MS´ Robbie Bach himself has said they wouldn´t mind being the 1st to the market again, as he thinks even though the RROD problem occurred, the advantages of being 1st have surpassed the problems.

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Playstation 4 in 2011? But...the 10 year plan!

Judging by Sony's history they launch their new consoles 5 to 6 years after their current console. Look it up.

personally i never and still dont no why Microsoft incuded RROD in their consoles anyway....... lol

To be honest, im more inclined to think that if they are going Larrabee they will finalise their specification with the "tick" phase of Larrabee so they get the next generation updated version.

Developers would be using the previous version of Larrabee to make their games but it seems to make more sense to pick up the 2nd generation Larrabee as it is released in the same year the Xbox 720 is expected to arrive. It shouldn't be too hard to design it around Larrabee 1 and then when Larrabee 2 becomes available slot that into the system instead.

Tease.

299, 399, 499? Haven't they learned how horrible that price goes over? I predict that Sony will not be launching for a penny over 400 dollars. If they do, I'll be especially surprised.

I wonder what's going to be so special about the 200 GB 500 dollar system to warrant that much money...

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
To be honest, im more inclined to think that if they are going Larrabee they will finalise their specification with the "tick" phase of Larrabee so they get the next generation updated version.

Developers would be using the previous version of Larrabee to make their games but it seems to make more sense to pick up the 2nd generation Larrabee as it is released in the same year the Xbox 720 is expected to arrive. It shouldn't be too hard to design it around Larrabee 1 and then when Larrabee 2 becomes available slot that into the system instead.

If Intel design Larrabee 2 alongside with Larrabee 1 then how are they going to implement the feedback of the industry..? They already have the massive failure of itanium where they tried to dictate the industry and if they move along those lines in GPU front also then i believe they r going to face another epic failure...

so they should only design Larrabee 2 atleast 6 months after the launch of Larrabee 1 and which will be a little too late for MS to incorporate Larrabee 2 in their next XBOX... so MS has only chance of incorporating Larrabee 1 in their next XBOX... and i think it will be a bit foolish on MS part to go with the first generation of larrabee...

Every console maker begins work on or around the time of the launch of the current machine--that's just how the industry works. And everything we've just read today on the "Xbox720" will likely be changed by the time the actual new machine comes out. Hopefully not as soon as 2010, or MS might as well go ahead and shoot themselves in both feet and stick the Xbox division in the grave from the get-go. Granted, 2010 is 5 years after the Xbox360, but with the immensley high cost of development these days, it'll likely bee too soon for the majority of developers especially when Nintendo and Sony have stated that they intend for their machines to last quite a bit longer than that.

Microsoft could jump out early enough to hurt themselves the way Sega did with the Saturn (and to an extent, the Dreamcast).

Let's hope this one supports full HD out of the box.

I still don't understand why people are surprised companies start the process to design the next console soon after the current one comes out. It take years to design the things.

And here we are, almost three years after Xbox 360 came out, and people are saying things like "Already!"

::shakes head::

Nothing new, people, it's always been this way

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Noobie said:
Squilliam said:

If Intel design Larrabee 2 alongside with Larrabee 1 then how are they going to implement the feedback of the industry..? They already have the massive failure of itanium where they tried to dictate the industry and if they move along those lines in GPU front also then i believe they r going to face another epic failure...

so they should only design Larrabee 2 atleast 6 months after the launch of Larrabee 1 and which will be a little too late for MS to incorporate Larrabee 2 in their next XBOX... so MS has only chance of incorporating Larrabee 1 in their next XBOX... and i think it will be a bit foolish on MS part to go with the first generation of larrabee...

How are they going to implement feedback if the Xbox 720 isn't released until around the same time the next version is due out?  The moment larrabee is announced to be part of the Xbox 720 - privately/publicly behind NDAs the development companies will start to take the design seriously. Furthermore the whole point of getting the design into a console - even below cost its to ensure its success. For example the Cell processor would have been nothing without the PS3.

It depends on when they can get the design out the door and what problems they have in implementing it. Larrabee is slated to sample in 2009, end of 2009? Im not sure. Until they get samples theres nothing they can do with the design. So the minimum release date for a Larrabee console is late 2011 I think, since thats a whole tick/tock cycle they could stretch and get a Larrabee 2 as the whole arcitecture is designed to scale from one level to another while maintaining the same software layer. Much like CPUS.

Tease.