By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPGs...do you prefer turn based battles or real time?

Real-time feels more natural and a real accomplishment that you actually won the fight

Around the Network

Turn based by far.

Theoretically real time should play better, but most I've played are just button mashers (SO3, Rogue Galaxy are the prominent ones that come to mind).

The problem with real time combat is, with only so many buttons, you're really limited in what you can do, and any time you want to do something not assigned to those buttons you're opening up a menu anyway, which just ruins the flow of battle.

So, I pick menu based. I think real-time combat can only be done on a PC (remember Diablo II where you assigned like up to 12 or 16 skills to hot keys?) where there's a crapload of buttons and you can actually think while you play.

So summary: action + strategy = best, but right now action = button mashing and little strategy, so turnbased with little action + strategy > realtime with button mashing.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

Turn based any time.

It just depends on the game and how well it is implemented, but generally turn-based.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
chenguo4 said:
Theoretically real time should play better, but most I've played are just button mashers (SO4, Rogue Galaxy are the prominent ones that come to mind).

The problem with real time combat is, with only so many buttons, you're really limited in what you can do, and any time you want to do something not assigned to those buttons you're opening up a menu anyway, which just ruins the flow of battle.

So, I pick menu based. I think real-time combat can only be done on a PC (remember Diablo II where you assigned like up to 12 or 16 skills to hot keys?) where there's a crapload of buttons and you can actually think while you play.

So summary: action + strategy = best, but right now action = button mashing and little strategy, so turnbased with little action + strategy > realtime with button mashing.

Star Ocean 4 isn't even out yet. I think you are talking about Star Ocean 3. If you think SO3's battle system is nothing but button mashing, the you haven't played it as you actually have to use skill and not button mashing. Try button mashing in the game and the enemies will beat you to a pulp in seconds.(this is mostly true in the second half of the game)

I Like both equal...

Former something....

Riachu said:
chenguo4 said:
Theoretically real time should play better, but most I've played are just button mashers (SO4, Rogue Galaxy are the prominent ones that come to mind).

Star Ocean 4 isn't even out yet. I think you are talking about Star Ocean 3. If you think SO3's battle system is nothing but button mashing, the you haven't played it as you actually have to use skill and not button mashing. Try button mashing in the game and the enemies will beat you to a pulp in seconds.(this is mostly true in the second half of the game)

You're right, I menat SO3. Fixed it.

Well, the thing is, once you get super awesome skills, you just spam those. Maria and Cliff esp, Maria with her scatter beam + the huge laser thing just pwned. Then Cliff, once you get the max shockwave thing, you can literally just run to a corner and spam and win everytime.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

A game designer needs to consider two factors when deciding a battle system - how much it will rely on quick decision making / reflexes, and how complex to make it. A more real-time combat system will cause adding complexity to the combat to increase the learning curve and difficulty more because making decisions in a more hectic/time-constrained setting makes most players either make worse decisions or take the same amount of time and let the time restrictions take their toll, so that most developers who don't want to alienate all but the most talented players tend to choose a spot on a spectrum with one side being turn-based and complex and the other being completely real-time with almost no strategy.

An example of a game that tried to add too much complexity to real-time combat is The World Ends With You. Of course it was great and well-reviewed, but the devotion required to do well in its combat system probably turned off many potential buyers, hence the good but not phenomenal sales.

With that said, I prefer turn-based combat. If I wanted to test how fast I can make decisions I would not be playing a genre with its roots in complex decision-making.

turn based

100% Mexican Power