By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 5 to get 'Gears-like' Controls.

Duck and cover system to be unveiled at Tokyo Game Show.

UK, September 2, 2008 - Capcom has confirmed that Resident Evil 5's control system is to undergo an overhaul, with a revised scheme to be unveiled at this October's Tokyo Game Show.

While Resident Evil 5 looks set to be one of the most attractive titles when it hits both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 early next March, there have been some misgivings about its rehashing of the now-dated control scheme introduced in 2005's Resident Evil 4.

Following rumours it would be replaced, the games producer Jun Takeuchi – speaking at the recent Microsoft Media Briefing, at which Kotaku were in attendance - confirmed that the changes would be made public at the imminent Tokyo Game Show.

With Takeuchi referring to the new system as similar to Gears of War, expect a new duck and cover system to replace the classic Resident Evil style of stop and shoot. How the changes will affect the slow tension engendered by the older system that's been a series staple remains to be seen, but we'll be bringing you full impressions from the Tokyo Game Show this October.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/906/906949p1.html

Whats ur thoughts.

Around the Network

sweet! That'll definitely make it more intense, just as long as the "hug against a wall" and "jump over said wall" buttons are the same, that's my only gripe about gears.

I think that.... as long as we can walk and shoot at the same time then all will be sweet !!! =]

What use is cover against a horde of unarmed zombies?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?

I never had a problem with RE4's stop while shooting system, if anything it added to the tension.

Changing a games control scheme at this late a date is far too risky a move. It sounds like it's being done to cater for the masses, the masses that didn't like RE4, and it's gonna suffer for it at the expense of those who love RE4.

Who's to say that they will all be unarmed?

Around the Network

RE5 best console version will be on PS3.

Rock_on_2008 said:

wow! that totally wasn't trolling

papflesje said:

Who's to say that they will all be unarmed?

Yeah, some still might still have their arms attached. Or if not their enitre arm, half an arm.

Hmm, pie.

spdk1 said:
Rock_on_2008 said:

wow! that totally wasn't trolling

That's because Rock_on totally isn't a troll!

On-topic: this sounds way better than stop and pop.

And so a lets-see-if-it's-good-enough-to-purchase game became a sounds-very-good-to-me game.
Obviously i wasn't a big fan of the RE4 control scheme. :)

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table: