By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kicking Zombie Ass In 360 Left 4 Dead, Why No PS3 Version - PAX Impressions

http://kotaku.com/5043904/kicking-zombie-ass-in-360-left-4-dead-why-no-ps3-version

Kicking Zombie Ass In 360 Left 4 Dead, Why No PS3 Version

One of my most anticipated games for this year is Left 4 Dead, Valve's Zombie Apocalypse game that's all about cooperative play. The thing is I haven't been able to try, and until this week no one has, is the Xbox 360 version of the game.

I was worries that a Valve game built to be a PC experience would lose some of its luster when it hit the Xbox 360. So I sat down yesterday to play through one of the game's 20 or so maps.

I was happy to find that Left 4 Dead on the Xbox 360 looks and feels pretty much like the PC experience. The controls are, of course, slightly tweaked, but in general the differences are negligible.

The aiming, Valve's Chet Faliszek told me, includes a very slight auto-aim feature. Actually, it's more like a weighted aiming system, the game helps you lock on when you move the reticule toward a target and it's so subtle I didn't notice it even after I was told it existed. The designers also built in a 180 turn button (one of the bumpers) so you can quickly spin around to take on the ever present Zombie threat.

Graphically the game looked fairly similar. I wasn't able to do a side-by-side comparison and I'm sure graphic snobs will notice a difference, but it wasn't anything jarring for me.

After playing around with the 360 version of the game for a bit, I bugged Faliszek about the Playstation 3. Why no PS3 version for the game, I asked.

Faliszek said that it's mostly a matter of development time. Creating the Xbox 360 version of the game is close enough to creating the PC version that it's "almost like pushing an A button," he said. The PS3 version, though, essentially requires starting from scratch.

That doesn't mean the game won't be coming to the PS3, but I suspect it will be awhile.

Around the Network

Anyone that has played Team Fortress 2 on the PS3 knows that a potential future port of Left 4 Dead is not a good thing. I'd rather see them spend more time and resources on HL2 Episode 3 for all the consoles than another communication and teamwork-centred multiplayer FPS going to a console where the majority can't be arsed to buy a headset.

i suspect if the game sells well enough to warrant the dev time and resources it takes to make a PS3 port then EA will eventually work on the port. It may take a full year though.

Translate : it will come but ... later and the port will be average.

Time to Work !

Translate : it will come but ... later and the port will be average.

Time to Work !

Around the Network

i thought vavle didnt really want to make games for PS3?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

dont want the game anyway. if i wanted it though i would just get for pc anyway.

looks awesome. cannot wait for this game. valve have a good record for delivering.

Left 4 Dead= Resistance 2 and killzone 2 slayer

PC/360 Relationship= UNSTOPPABLE

The 180 degree turning button sounds real interesting, I'll bet people will be using it a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!