By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DS Games Selling Badly: Or Why Install Base isn't the End All Be All

Soriku said:
GetALife said:
hey soriku you make some good points, but one i noticed is different a lil.

Inazuma Eleven and Sigma Harmonics got NO advertising AT ALL. Blame the companies, NOT the user base.

is what you said, and it seems in the UK that is advertised everwhwere here.

most target audience is probably uk for advertisement, thats why i have seen that game everwhere.

Inazuma Eleven is advertised in the UK? Really? Soccer games sell well in the UK so not surprised, but when it came to Inazuma Eleven sales we were talking about Japan.

Soccor is also popular in Japan.  Inazuma Eleven's sales were low for a Level 5 game

Around the Network

No, Inazuma Eleven's sales were about right for a Level 5 game. The only Level 5 games that sell in Japan are Dragon Quest and Professor Layton. Everything else is between a bomb and modest sales. This is a fact that escapes a lot of people for some reason.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Soriku said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
No, Inazuma Eleven's sales were about right for a Level 5 game. The only Level 5 games that sell in Japan are Dragon Quest and Professor Layton. Everything else is between a bomb and modest sales. This is a fact that escapes a lot of people for some reason.

Actually...yeah. Level 5 isn't really as big as people make it out to be. I mean just look at Dark Cloud or Rogue Galaxy saels...not exactly huge. DQ sells well just because it's DQ and Professor Layton sells well because it hits a large part of the demographic on the DS. That's why I'm cautiously optimistic on WKS's sales. It should sell well because there's a lack of RPGs on the PS3, but not "OMG HUGE!" sales.

dude your right, i love level 5 rpgs, rogue galaxy and even jeanne d'arc on psp, the games are amazing, to be honest, i would rightfully try and etch FF12 on to rogue galaxy disk if i could, i feel as though that was a true FF after how bad FF12 to me was, i tried to like that game after 50hours play n i just gave up.

i really hope they have sequels, yeh it will sell less on psp solely because of lesser install base, but heck there are alot of factors, such as that time of year , etc

cheapest ps3 games www.spitpod.com - checkout Chris browns new forever tune - lifes a beech just like my avatar

people know not every game will sell well, it just makes it more likely to sell well

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Oh god the DS is selling the best out of everything at the moment that is awful!

Around the Network

The OP fails because the claim is that most DS games are profitable, not that they always sell well. The fact is that DS development is a bargain, so even a moderately selling game can turn a hefty profit.

The only thing the OP showed is that two new IPs didn't have spectacular openings.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

jman8 said:

Yes the DS has sold a ton of copies of games. Yes, the DS has the largest install base ever in Japan. Neither of those two things means that an individual game is automatically going to sell really well even if it is a good game from a highly reputable developer. That's the point.

Even highly-reputable developers should do a better job advertising their games.

Didn't Nintendo's own Captain Rainbow sell poorly?

Hype = Sales, period.

The ultra-rare exception is an indie game that is so good that players actually feel the need to demand their friends buy the game as well.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Japanese software sales - Aug. 25th to 31st

6. NDS Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) - 29,000 / 71,000

Good week two hold. Long and short: Not a bomb.

Also, rumored sequel in the works.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Haha, go look at the attach rates. DS is in a league of it's own.

Louie said:
The DS has the highest software sales the Japanese market has ever seen. I don´t understand your point?

I think his point is that you can saturate the market for even the absolutely best console of all time, and therefore there is always a a saturation point.

If only the Xbox 360 could sell software like the DS we'd have to make some Bill Gates / Xbox 360 "It prints money" animated GIFs.