By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Version Of PlayStation 3 To Go On Sale In August

TheSource said:
For those of you that have a PS3... Aren't you a bit pissed that you could have waited a little while and then been able to get: 1) A bigger hard drive for the same price ($600) 2) A great game included 3) More games to choose from starting August anyway Whether or not it makes sense to Sony and is economically sound, I think the reaction to this move will be overwhelmingly negative. On top of that, how many interested consumers want the inferior version of a product at $500? If it was me I would just spring for the extra $100 for the storage space and Motorstorm.

my answer no. I already knew they were going to do this. Actually they announced that they would. I expect in November the 60GB being discontinued and a 100GB SKU being released honestly. Am I pissed? no. Why? because the PS3 supports DLNA media servers anyone can install on their PCs and stream media from their PCs to the PS3. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

Oh, Sony, tell me this isn't true!

This would be an awful move, in my opinion.

How is this an awful move again? The current version drops 100 dollars in price and a new version bundle at 600 dollars that includes a game and a bigger hard drive.

I was initially expecting them just to make a bundle for 600 dolalrs but they are doing that and a price drop at the same time. Sounds like a good deal to me. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Dolla Dolla said:
URNotE said:
The console wars have definitely begun because the jackasses are getting even more stupid and ignorant... making everything look bad...

I'd like to ask you to calm down about calling posters jackasses, stupid, and ignorant. Everyone has their opinions, some think this is a good move, some think it's bad. That doesn't give you a right to degrade any posters in this forum, and it makes your posts less likely to be taken seriously.

LMAO!!! yea i agree man let people have their opinions no matter how pissed you get or true it may be... take it from me i write this stuff for a living.. i've been known to blow a casket every once in awhile... but usually i only do that when someone gets petty... but you still have to learn how to let it slide...

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

shams said:
TheSource said:
For those of you that have a PS3... Aren't you a bit pissed that you could have waited a little while and then been able to get: 1) A bigger hard drive for the same price ($600) 2) A great game included 3) More games to choose from starting August anyway Whether or not it makes sense to Sony and is economically sound, I think the reaction to this move will be overwhelmingly negative. On top of that, how many interested consumers want the inferior version of a product at $500? If it was me I would just spring for the extra $100 for the storage space and Motorstorm.

No doubt the new ones have the software emulation of PS2 titles - which may be a good or bad thing in the long run...

I think this is overly negative from Sony, and a sign that they are desperate for more money...

a) Some PS3 fans WILL go out and spend another $600 (just for the larger hdisk/new model!)

b) As a result, will see a heap of PS3s on Ebay/2nd-hand market (good or bad?)

c) Gives the impression that the PS3 hardware is a "moving target" - buy now, burnt later

d) Boost sales by dropping the price of existing 60Gig models (for a while anyway?)

e) Boost sales by offering a free game at the $599 price point (and a pretty weak game at that - if it was LAIR, Heavenly Sword or Uncharted might be different)

Most of all, this would piss me off if I had bought a PS3 - big time. Not to mention generally "devalueing" the PS3, by saying that the Premium model wasn't really that premium at all.

(and of course they look like copycats again, by following a similar strategy to MS with the Elite...).

If this is the best Sony can do, they might not have a very fun year...

Wait a minute, didn't the 360 Elite technically copy the PS3 in the HDMI port and extra hard drive space to begin with? 

Also, didn't Nintendo do the DS and then the DS Lite?  Isn't the Wii supposed to get DVD support, maybe even upconversion in the future?

I have a PS3 and I'm very happy with the price drop news.  I was planning on getting a 160 gig hard drive anyway sometime.

I guess all the Anti-Sony people are trying to find reasons to be hating. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Bonafide732 said:
Dolla Dolla said:
URNotE said:
The console wars have definitely begun because the jackasses are getting even more stupid and ignorant... making everything look bad...

I'd like to ask you to calm down about calling posters jackasses, stupid, and ignorant. Everyone has their opinions, some think this is a good move, some think it's bad. That doesn't give you a right to degrade any posters in this forum, and it makes your posts less likely to be taken seriously.

LMAO!!! yea i agree man let people have their opinions no matter how pissed you get or true it may be... take it from me i write this stuff for a living.. i've been known to blow a casket every once in awhile... but usually i only do that when someone gets petty... but you still have to learn how to let it slide...

like i said originally i'll try not to insult anyone... just couldnt hold it anymore... i guess..sorry..

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:
shams said:
TheSource said:

No doubt the new ones have the software emulation of PS2 titles - which may be a good or bad thing in the long run...

I think this is overly negative from Sony, and a sign that they are desperate for more money...

a) Some PS3 fans WILL go out and spend another $600 (just for the larger hdisk/new model!)

b) As a result, will see a heap of PS3s on Ebay/2nd-hand market (good or bad?)

c) Gives the impression that the PS3 hardware is a "moving target" - buy now, burnt later

d) Boost sales by dropping the price of existing 60Gig models (for a while anyway?)

e) Boost sales by offering a free game at the $599 price point (and a pretty weak game at that - if it was LAIR, Heavenly Sword or Uncharted might be different)

Most of all, this would piss me off if I had bought a PS3 - big time. Not to mention generally "devalueing" the PS3, by saying that the Premium model wasn't really that premium at all.

(and of course they look like copycats again, by following a similar strategy to MS with the Elite...).

If this is the best Sony can do, they might not have a very fun year...

Wait a minute, didn't the 360 Elite technically copy the PS3 in the HDMI port and extra hard drive space to begin with? 

Also, didn't Nintendo do the DS and then the DS Lite?  Isn't the Wii supposed to get DVD support, maybe even upconversion in the future?

I have a PS3 and I'm very happy with the price drop news.  I was planning on getting a 160 gig hard drive anyway sometime.

I guess all the Anti-Sony people are trying to find reasons to be hating. 

exactly..

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

If they had just made another SKU at 700 dollars with a game packed in and a little more hard drive and not dropped the price of the current one then I would have said it is a stupid move.

But when they are just giving you the option of the console for 500 or the console with a pack in game for the current price then it sounds like a pretty smart move, especially that they are trying to lose less money on each console.

Anyway, the hard drive on the PS3 can be swapped for standard notebook HDD am I right?

You can buy a 160 GB HDD for like $80 if you REALLY want more space

fazz said:
Anyway, the hard drive on the PS3 can be swapped for standard notebook HDD am I right?

You can buy a 160 GB HDD for like $80 if you REALLY want more space

You would still have to buy that free Motorstorm at 60 bucks.

TheSource said:

If this is true...Yes I am upset.

I spent the xtra dough for the Upgrded system.

Now that upgraded system is the watered down version.

Who does this in seven months after the console is released?

Forget that $100 price drop. This is now the new PS3 model that people will buy and the other SKU will fade away similar to the 20GB model. The price... for all those who are not eactly in the know... is still $600 to Mr. John & Jane Smith.

I love Sony... but IMO this is lame and its too soon. 

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!