By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 RRoD cause found?

Story here

It seems that people are thinking that surge protectors may be the cause of the RRoD due to power fluctuations and the 360 simply not being made for that.  My 360 has been plugged into a surge protector for the 7 or so months I've had it but it looks like that's going to change today.

Around the Network

This makes no sense.  There are power fluctuations in the power coming from your wall socket, which, if anything, a surge protector would dampen.

Maybe we should do another polling thread, and ask everyone who reported problems with their 360 if they were using a surge protector, a power conditioning surge protector, or an uninterruptible power supply (battery backup).  Ask those with working 360s too, come to think of it. 

Entroper said:

This makes no sense. There are power fluctuations in the power coming from your wall socket, which, if anything, a surge protector would dampen.

Maybe we should do another polling thread, and ask everyone who reported problems with their 360 if they were using a surge protector, a power conditioning surge protector, or an uninterruptible power supply (battery backup). Ask those with working 360s too, come to think of it.

That all depends on what kind of surge protector you have.  The cheap ones do very little and can't help with brown outs (low voltage).  I recommend spending about $20 or so on a good one for most electrical equipment and getting a UPS for your PC.  More great info about surge protectors can be had here:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector.htm

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Steve 3.2 said:

That all depends on what kind of surge protector you have. The cheap ones do very little and can't help with brown outs (low voltage).

What I'm saying is, it can't be worse than plugging into the wall socket directly.

This seems like very weak logic to me. First of all I agree with Entroper, the surge protectors would not be worse than directly plugging into a wall.

The second, and larger problem with the article is the logic. "90% of all 360's that failed were plugged into surge protectors...so that must be a cause".

Well, I'm sure that 100% of all 360's that fail were plugged into something, so perhaps if we all just didn't plug them in, they wouldn't fail.

This logic is sort of like saying that "Breathing is the leading cause of death" because 100% of all humans that die have breathed.

Silly...

My 360 can blog!

Gamers have 3 choices this generation: The Exercise Machine, the Movie Machine, or the Game Machine.  What kind of gamer are you?

Around the Network
RedToof said:
Well, I'm sure that 100% of all 360's that fail were plugged into something, so perhaps if we all just didn't plug them in, they wouldn't fail.

Silly...

LOL!

I've got a "high end" line conditioner made by one of the home theater companies.  It was about 100 bucks or so.  There's no way I'm plugging my 360 into the wall instead of that protector.  To suggest a surge protector is at fault is just plain silly. 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Isnt one of the purposes of the power supply to smooth out these fluctuations?

Microlab (until now repairing the console ) said that it is an endemic problem due to the motherboard and without changing the motherboard it couldnt be avoided so there you go ,those guys must know what they are talking about they have been repairing the damm thing for 18 months .

I thought it was confirmed to be motherboards warping under high temperatures.

kn said:
RedToof said:

Silly...

LOL!

I've got a "high end" line conditioner made by one of the home theater companies.  It was about 100 bucks or so.  There's no way I'm plugging my 360 into the wall instead of that protector.  To suggest a surge protector is at fault is just plain silly. 

I with you guys here, this defies logic. I've installed high end(REALLY high end, like $25k+) home theatres before and I would NEVER, under any circumstance, recommend plugging anything directly into the power source. I would recommend, if you can afford it, getting a power conditioner that actually regulates the power supply.

Maybe this article was written by Monster Cable ;)

BTW RedToof, funny stuff