By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Costs almost double what Sony expected

Link:- http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/906/906154p1.html

Sony’s Europe division 2IC (2nd in Charge) Robert Browner has revealed to IGN that not only production costs of the PS3 exceeds that of which they are being sold, but Sony expected costs to be almost half of what they currently are at this time.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. CEO Sir Howard Stringer, revealed earlier Sony is currently hitting a bottleneck in development.

"We currently have a production bottleneck with the PlayStation 3", Sir Howard Stringer said during an interview with German News outlet Welt Online.

"You also know, however, that our business model is not perfect, and that we make a loss on every console we sell. " He finished.

Robert Further clarified Sir Howard’s comments telling IGN they are having trouble with the production of Blu Ray Lasers and this is holding up the entire production line.

“A lot of people here at Sony were against the PS3 having Blu Ray as part of its main function.” Robert Said.

“That alone has caused the PS3 to cost as much as it does and now it is also the cause of development problems.”

Robert went on to explain it is not only the Blu Ray lasers causing problems but add to that the number of SKU changes as well as poor receptiveness of some of these SKU’s is to blame.

“I believe backwards compatibility would have been a vital success to the newer SKU’s being introduced,” he continued,

“But it wasn’t up to me. A lot of people have had their hand in this pie. Unfortunately, with every change being implemented, so too does this increase cost and reduce production limits.”

While Robert did not give exact costing on the production of the playstation 3, he did reveal SCE’s expectations.

“The PS3 still costs too much to produce.” Robert Said.

“What the costs are now, and what the projected cost decrease was, are two completely different things. We expected production costs to be three quarters to almost half of what they currently are, instead they are still above our sell price, albeit not by much.”

This enforces what Sir Howard Stringer said earlier with not to expect a price drop any time soon.

-----------------------

Tell me, how did this sound to you?

EDIT// Sorry the cut and paste didn't work but now I fixed.  I hope!

EDIT2// This is written by me... it is not real... was it convincing?  I'd like to know.

It's me...  no really, it IS me!!!

Around the Network

That should reinforce to you, the Playstation 3 is a value.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

if this is true. then 10 year plan is in jeopardy. :S

Your link isn't working either. Is this some bull?

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Soo.... What do you think? Could I be a journalist?

It's all fake by the way! LOL...

At least I got Some of you!

@Talkingparrot - Nice, first one to pick it up and post.

It's me...  no really, it IS me!!!

Around the Network

This will be your only warning, don't do this childish crap.