By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - X360 Japan price cut, according to Bloomberg

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/322657_xboxjapan06.html

Thought you'd all like to know.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network

This isn't necessarily a price cut.

There are still misconceptions surrounding exchange rates and currency strength.

360 elite = 479.99 USD in states
360 elite = 47800 yen in Japan

Wii = 249.99 USD in states
Wii = 24990 yen in Japan

PS3 60gb = 599.99 USD in states
PS3 60gb = 59980 yen in Japan

Notice a pattern?

If the yen weakens, its equivalent in USD goes up, which makes it look like the item just got cheaper overnight. The price never changed in Japanese eyes.

its just ms getting owned in the japanese market. i think the premium is actually less expensive than the wii. no japanese gamers like the 360.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

from the article:

>>In the U.S., Microsoft outsells Sony. It sold 154,900 Xbox 360 machines in May, compared with sales of 81,600 PS3s, according to data compiled by Port Washington, N.Y.-based NPD Group Inc. Nintendo sold 338,000 Wii units, NPD said.<<

Isn't that a freaky paragraph? Isn't the real observation from the data: "Nintendo outsells MS/SONY combined"?

The MS/SONY battle frankly doesn't exist right now.... not has it ever.

PS2 crushed XBOX/GC, and the Wii is crushing the 360/PS3.

I'm not seeing how MS is all that much a factor in terms of market share...

To the Japanese, the price "feels" about 100 yen = 1 dollar, so the PS3 and 360 are really not too much different in price over there, except for foreigners there. The companies however get a much bigger advantage when currency is stronger in another country.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

I don't think it will have as big an impact as the PS3 cut in N.A. not even close.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Of course a J-price cut wouldn't have as much of an effect, but it'd have an effect, and MS would sell more units. The difference is that a $100 PS3 pricecut in the US would equal around 15,000 units/mo more in sales (or more, on average), whereas with the 360, it might be 1,500-3,500 a month (or more, depending).

Despite this, the 360 pricecut would probably have a larger effect in terms of % increase per month.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.