By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Tech Demo

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/823/823668/vids_1.html It's a new starwars game coming for the PS3. Watch the DMM, and Euphoria demos. They show stuff never seen before in games. Both are awosome. Both are Cell. It shows wood breaking like... wood should break... not 'breakable'. And the Euphoria, shows storm troopers well... hanging on for dear life. :P

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Any chance you'd like to cite where anything says these are just on Cell? Seems to me they're both softwares that, while really innovative, wouldn't take all that much processing power. He even says specifically in the Euphoria video "not something you'll see in any other games aside from LucasArts games." Meaning it'll appear in other LucasArts games, on other platforms.

It takes ALOT of CPU power to do that stuff... That is what the cell was put in the PS3 for. for Doing stuff like that. Wanna send a link to a Wii game doing that? EDIT

Any chance you'd like to cite where anything says these are just on Cell? Seems to me they're both softwares that, while really innovative, wouldn't take all that much processing power.
Are you seroius? wouldnt take all that much processing power? I'm not trying to be mean or anything... but "wouldnt tall all that much processing power" Is downright crazy. Let me give you an example of current system (rag-doll) physics effects bone structure. Ragdoll is a simple physics trick. Animation. Simply program the graphics card to run animation script. Once agian virtually no power. Now let's get smart. Physics/ragdoll/AI Physics because he's moveing, and has the physics model to determin wich way he is going. Notice, this is just as advanced a physics model as ragdoll. Wich is quite CPU intensive. Now let's add the AI. 'Can I grab celing. NO too far away. Can I grab wall? No going wrong way. Can I grab central beam? No too smooth. Can I grab Floor. No Too high. fall will Kill me. Can I grab beam? YES! Can I grab with left hand? No, There is a gun in it. Can I grab with right hand? Yes, where do I need to move my arm to to grab it? There? no... There? no... Here... yes. Ahh my buddy is falling... where do I need to reach to grab him? here? here? here? no no no. Ahh here. My buddy is trying to figure out if he should grab all the things mentioned earlier... or my hand... or my leg? Or what should he grab ahold of. The pathing mixed in with physics, and trajectory movement... takes AMAZING Cpu power.

Kwaad said: It takes ALOT of CPU power to do that stuff... That is what the cell was put in the PS3 for. for Doing stuff like that. Wanna send a link to a Wii game doing that?
It seems to me that first your argument was "possible only on PS3" and then it mutated into "not possible on Wii". Those are two different arguments. Everyone knows PS3 is more powerful than Wii. Everyone knows PCs will soon be way ahead of PS3. Have you seen new in-game material of Crysis? Example: http://pelaajalehti.com/wordpress/wp-content/2007/02/crysis_ces.zip

Have you seen FF13 trailers? Crysis looks good. But I have yet to see anything hold a finger to what Square is doing with the PS3. I'm probibally not going to buy Crysys... I loved FarCry. I'm sure I'd love Crysis... but I'm not buying Vista to play one game. Translation. I am not spending 300$ for a buggy peice of software to put on my computer... to play ONE game. I will buy a 360 first thank you.

Around the Network

I've seen ragdoll done in Flash. Granted, 2D ragdoll, but it didn't slow down my entry-level PC in the slightest. As for AI, I've *never* seen slowdown on any system, in any game, because of AI (except Outpost, when I couldn't get the damn AI to shut up). It's really complicated to program, not as hard to execute. And I never once mentioned Wii. Someone's jumping the gun, eh? As the old Indian saying goes "Man who jump gun, soon get bullet in rear." So, um, let me meet you some place so I can pop a cap in your ass.

[dumb post deleted, maybe I'll think of something to fill this space]

Kwaad said: It's a new starwars game coming exclusivly for the PS3.
And 360, PS2, PSP and DS...

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

fishamaphone said: I've seen ragdoll done in Flash. Granted, 2D ragdoll, but it didn't slow down my entry-level PC in the slightest. As for AI, I've *never* seen slowdown on any system, in any game, because of AI (except Outpost, when I couldn't get the damn AI to shut up). It's really complicated to program, not as hard to execute. And I never once mentioned Wii. Someone's jumping the gun, eh? As the old Indian saying goes "Man who jump gun, soon get bullet in rear." So, um, let me meet you some place so I can pop a cap in your ass.
I have bogged down my computer playing TA, C&C, SupCom, War3... all by the AI scripts. Most games that use a good AI... need ALOT of CPU. Second. Was your Flash Ragdoll running physics, or just the most basic kinda rag-doll. Did your flash ragdoll have a bone structure? Even so, 2D uses 1/3rd the power of 3D. So... ;) And if AI was so easy to process. There would be human-like AI's out there, writeing their own code. Writeing the AI code is ALOT easier than executing it. Also to program an AI is ALOT easier than to optimize/execute it. Let me give an example. o is a open square and x is a blocked square. Soooxoxoxo oxxooooooo xooxoooooo ooooooooxx ooooooxxoo oooxxooooo oxxooooooo oooooooxxo oxxxxxxxxx oooooooooE To build a program to find the optimal way to the other side is easy. The problem is. It would plot the AI 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000, 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000, 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times. Now Optimize that to find a faster way. not too big of a problem. Now that is useing a brute force best path. However in a game it's more like a 1000x1000x1000 grid. Pathing is very hard. Pathing with phsics, and pathing in 3D... Hah. That's psycho hard.

Ok so it's not exclusive. However if you think it will be the same game on the DS. You should leave. The DS can barely do 3D... why the HELL do you think it would be a similar game to a PS3 game? If it was PS3/DS I would say the PS3 has an exclusive. and the DS has an exclusive. because they have VERY little in common.