By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Kwaad said:if it is a notebook. You are less than 2 feet from the screen. You are talking about you notice the interpolation. You dont notice that on a 1080p screen. And once agian, on the 720p Everything runs native to it.
Not in this case. My laptop is a Dell D800 and I typically use it in a "D Stand", which allows me to use a real keyboard and mouse while still using the laptop's screen. It also keeps the display back a bit, which helps save on the eyes. A 1080 display at 10 feet, I doubt I'd notice much - but the picture isn't going to be as sharp. Of course, on the television most people aren't going to care. I certainly don't mind that my television is SDTV. Someone who pays a few grand for a new television might. I'm not that someone.
Not counting the screwed up aspect ratio of a widescreen monitor. What you are seeing is NOT the problem of up-scaleing, it is the problem of changeing aspect ratio.
The problem is not the aspect ratio, since the display itself has the correct aspect ratio. The image has been stretched to fit it. Image data is simply lost along with it during the stretching process, and the method of stretching determines what data was lost. Think about it like this: You have a picture of 10 by 10 pixels. We'll use round numbers at first to make the calculations come out nicely. Now you want to scale it up to 20 by 20 pixels. That's easy, we simply use four pixels to draw each of the original pixels. Now say we want to scale it to 14 by 14 pixels. That gets a bit trickier, because you have to either determine which pixels to stretch, double the image and omit some, or redraw the entire image such that it looks something like it did at 10 by 10 pixels. If you redraw with only the original image data, you're going to need to interpolate and data will be lost. Note that 1920x1200 is also not the only common resolution on a PC which uses an odd pixel aspect ratio; the 1280x1024 resolution you pointed out has a logical 5:4 aspect ratio (works out to 1.25). Displays using this resolution are commonly built to a 4:3 aspect ratio, giving rectangular as opposed to square pixels. 1920x1200 displays are typically built to the 16:9 aspect ratio, which works out close to 1.8. They're both approximations. FWIW, I've used Sony CRT displays at work running at 1920x1200 - I believe it was a GDM-W900. Luckily, we've been removing these monstrosities and replacing them with flat panels.

Around the Network

I have had experience with the alot of monitors. I have used 1600x1200. And it looks identical to a screen of the same size running 800x600. Besides the higher resolution. And I have trouble telling the diffrence from more than 4 feet. And I assure you. If you have a screen less than 30 inches. You would be hard pressed to notice the diffrence unless you sit on your TV. I am right now, 4 feet from my TV. It would be closer to 5 feet if I had my old 26inch TV in here. I promise you. At 5 feet I cant tell the diffrence from 1080p to 720p. And I promise you. you CAN tell the diffrence from 480p to 720p from 10 feet. (very very easily) at least on a 40inch screen. And at 5feet. I just choke on nonHD content. Not being able to see each eyelash, each wrinkle, each speck of facial hair... You just dont know what your missing untill you have one and spend time watching it. EDIT: When I run my TV as my monitor I drop the resolution down to 720p I see none of the artifacts your talking about, and it makes the text bigger. (I know there is an option to make the stuff bigger, but I dual-screen it... and i dont want to change it on my monitor)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:I have used 1600x1200. And it looks identical to a screen of the same size running 800x600. Besides the higher resolution.
Higher resolution doesn't make a difference outside of resolution? No way! I thought 1600x1200 made the colors and contrast better. Or at least I think this is what you're saying but I'm not sure given your schizophrenic period placement.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

EDIT: When I run my TV as my monitor I drop the resolution down to 720p I see none of the artifacts your talking about, and it makes the text bigger. (I know there is an option to make the stuff bigger, but I dual-screen it... and i dont want to change it on my monitor)
In that case, you don't really need such a high resolution then. The moderate boost from 480 to 720 lines of resolution is apparently sufficient for your purposes, and you should be fine with 1024x768 (or 1366x768 with a 16:9 aspect ratio display) on your PC. I'm curious as to what you would have thought of PAL video, which has about 576 lines of resolution albeit at 50hz per field (25fps). For most people, even 480 lines is sufficient.
And at 5feet. I just choke on nonHD content. Not being able to see each eyelash, each wrinkle, each speck of facial hair... You just dont know what your missing untill you have one and spend time watching it.
I'll live I'm still using S-Video connections, and am more than happy with the results.

baka said: EDIT: When I run my TV as my monitor I drop the resolution down to 720p I see none of the artifacts your talking about, and it makes the text bigger. (I know there is an option to make the stuff bigger, but I dual-screen it... and i dont want to change it on my monitor) In that case, you don't really need such a high resolution then. The moderate boost from 480 to 720 lines of resolution is apparently sufficient for your purposes, and you should be fine with 1024x768 (or 1366x768 with a 16:9 aspect ratio display) on your PC. I'm curious as to what you would have thought of PAL video, which has about 576 lines of resolution albeit at 50hz per field (25fps). For most people, even 480 lines is sufficient. And at 5feet. I just choke on nonHD content. Not being able to see each eyelash, each wrinkle, each speck of facial hair... You just dont know what your missing untill you have one and spend time watching it. I'll live I'm still using S-Video connections, and am more than happy with the results.
I actually run my 15inch monitor at 1280x1024. and I really dont see a point in 1600x1200 on any monitors smaller than 17inch. sieanr - Nice to see your as dumb as ever.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

And nice to see you've learned how to identify sarcasm. Heaven forbid something has more than one meaning, because that would confuse Kwaad.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"