By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

For those of you who dont understand the point of this post... Here it is. How many of you have an HDTV, with HD-DVD or BluRay, or a HDTV, with a HDtuner... Or a HD tuner. How many of you have TRUELY seen HDTV? What type of HDTV... how big of a screen was it on? Was it sitting beside the exact same thing on a SDTV? What brand of TV? I was just thinking. How many of you have truely witnessed the diffrence at home... and then changed the channel... and thought. "HOLY CRAP. This looks like CRAP."

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

That many of you have no experience with HDTVs? Okie Dokie!

I've watched segments of videos on a few HDTVs at the local Fry's Electronics, and watched a decently sized plasma display on a recent company trip. The picture's sharp with HDTV content to be sure, although sometimes they obviate compression artifacts that wouldn't be noticeable on a screen with lesser resolution. The plasma I played with had a horrible scaler for regular content through one of its ports, although the thing was so non-obvious to configure that we spent a good 20 minutes trying to get the super bowl on it. When we did finally get the game on the set, the grass had this sparkle effect that was rather distracting throughout the game. To be honest, the resolution difference on ideal content is just not enough to make me want to part with a grand or two for a display at least as large as the regular SDTV that I have. I'm not buying a smaller TV just for the higher resolution, and I'll not buy one of the relatively inexpensive projection televisions based on the less than stellar images they produce in the stores. My next TV will probably be a flat screen, mostly because my current TV takes two people to move and I nearly put my back out moving it last time. It will also probably be HDTV capable since everything likely will be by that time, I'm guessing about 2 years from now, but I'll be sure to purchase a model that plays my current SDTV content with reasonable quality. If it doesn't, I'll just return it for a better model since that's likely to still be a lot of the content I have.

baka - look into the Samsung screens. Also, if you noticed the 'pasty' effect. That is the broadcast. NOT your TV. Well it is your TV, but it's a problem with the broadcast. a 1080i broadcast, when scaled... If there is something wrong with the camera, it tends to de-interlace backwards... Or something like that. I read up on it. I couldnt understand the problem. Sports is REALLY bad about it. Get infront of a HDTV at primetime. And watch Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy, or Men in Trees. my network only broadcasts at 720p. However the image clarity is AMAZING. I do NOT use a satelite receiver anymore. I live 50miles (way the bird flys) and NOT line of sight... With a cheapo Antenna. I get a black'n'white image, with no noticeable audio with 'SDTV' broadcast. When I switch to the HD broadcast. It is crystal clear, No noise, Perfect audio. ZERO COMPRESSION artifacts. (those come from Dish Networks hack-job HD) Look into what I say, and it might change your mind on HD. I got my HDTV for my PS3. I got a small cheap one. at the end of 2005. I loved the picture and HD content so much, I bought a 2000$ samsung shortly after buying my PS3. And Holy crap. I'm paying 60$/month on that thing, and all I gotta say is. That's the best 60$/month bill I have. EDIT: The most imporant thing on a TV is the contrast. I like LCD screens because they last better than Plasma. I like my screens flat.

I've seen the Samsung displays, and I know Samsung makes great computer LCD displays. I have one on my PC. However, I just don't sit close enough to my television to make the additional resolution worthwhile. At least, not $2000 worthwhile. In 2009 I will probably get a new television, since analogue TV is scheduled to cease broadcasting that year. They'll probably have the bugs worked out of the HD deinterlacing chips by that time, and they'll definitely be cheaper. For the moment, I'm happy enough with what I have - unless I have to move it.

Around the Network

Once agian. It's not the DeInterlaceing chip. No chip does it right. It has like a 25% chance to screw the image up. Wether it's sony, or some cheap ass brand. The problem is in the broadcast. Not the chip. HDTVs will do their biggest price drop this year. And on my 40inch screen I can tell the diffrence from SD to 720p from 10 feet away. Easy. my point is. Buying a HDTV fall/winter 2007 is practical. HDTVs dont cost THAT much more than SDTVs now. 50inch cheapass SDTV. ~800$ 50inch cheapass HDTV. ~800$ (not panel) And any screen smaller than 20" is useless for HDTV. A good 24 inch Sony SDTV, will cost 300$ A good 23inch LCD HDTV will cost you ~600$. A cheapass 21inch LCD SDTV will run you 250$. I have seen a 28inch SDTV panel sell for over 600$. HDTVs are about as cheap as they will get. As for image quality they will continue to get better. But that isnt gonna stop in 2 years... or 5 years... or 10 years. http://hhgregg.com/ I got my TV from there.

Once agian. It's not the DeInterlaceing chip. No chip does it right.
Then they should provide the option to deinterlace in the incorrect order. Video interlacing is just the process of sending the image one field at a time. Each field is every other line of the total image, and you need two fields to create one complete "frame". As long as the two fields are similar enough, that is, there wasn't much motion between the time where the two fields were created, things should look ok. If there is a lot of motion, you may need some form of motion compensation in the hardware to average the differences between the two fields to create a decent looking frame. FWIW this doesn't matter quite as much on a low resolution CRT unless they're out of phase, since the phosphors fade slowly and are close enough to blur the differences. If the interlacing of the frames is backwards, that is, the first frame is going where the second frame goes, then that should be easy enough to fix if you know it's happening. Just provide an alternate field combining mode which places the fields in the correct place in the frame. If it's a motion compensation issue, well... They have to make a better chip. If field data is coming in for other frames while you're still decoding the current field, there isn't much you can do. I'd be surprised if the camera's owners didn't sue the manufacturer. Regardless, the technology isn't where it needs to be. I'll see where it is in 2009, when I replace my current 32" set.

What exactly are you trying to prove by baiting us anyway? I have an idea but I'll keep my lips(fingers) shut, for now.

Kwaad said: Once agian. It's not the DeInterlaceing chip. No chip does it right. It has like a 25% chance to screw the image up. Wether it's sony, or some cheap ass brand. The problem is in the broadcast. Not the chip. HDTVs will do their biggest price drop this year. And on my 40inch screen I can tell the diffrence from SD to 720p from 10 feet away. Easy. my point is. Buying a HDTV fall/winter 2007 is practical. HDTVs dont cost THAT much more than SDTVs now. 50inch cheapass SDTV. ~800$ 50inch cheapass HDTV. ~800$ (not panel) And any screen smaller than 20" is useless for HDTV. A good 24 inch Sony SDTV, will cost 300$ A good 23inch LCD HDTV will cost you ~600$. A cheapass 21inch LCD SDTV will run you 250$. I have seen a 28inch SDTV panel sell for over 600$. HDTVs are about as cheap as they will get. As for image quality they will continue to get better. But that isnt gonna stop in 2 years... or 5 years... or 10 years. http://hhgregg.com/ I got my TV from there.
First off I think your numbers are way off as you can buy a 20 inch tube tv for $125 ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7601008&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050007&id=1130981752875 ) and the $800 23 inch LCD TVs are all 720p meaning they're not that good of a HDTV. Besides that people don't know (or care) what there signal is comming in at currently, and probably won't know or care until they have abandoned DVD and Cable/Digital TV for HD-DVD and HDTV cable; something that probably won't happen intil 2010. I have a (1080i/720p) HDTV, and I have the available 5 HDTV channels (which mostly broadcast in 480p) and, although HDTV is really nice, after 1 minute of playing a game/DVD I don't notice the quality of the image because I deal with that image quality all the time.

Just for you, Kwaad, I made a point of finding every store that *might* sell TVs in the mall, and checked them out. Electronics store: Wall of 30 screens, all 30". All HD, all showing the same TV channel ("Hot HD," Hot being the local cable company). No two had the same picture. I saw two Samsung TVs next to each other. One had way too much orange, the other had a stretched image. Next to that was a Panasonic screen: fuzzy. LG had lines through it. Etc, etc. The only one that didn't actually have "HD" or "HDMI" somewhere on it was a Konka, and it was fuzzier than the ones around it, but not the fuzziest on the wall (that goes to the Panasonic screen). Office Depot: Five HD screens, showing different stuff, or turned off. Home Center: Three standard-def CRT TVs. Bug (computer store): Five 15" HD screens, but they all had static images, no video. Take that as you will.