By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are some things to know if a console is about to fail??

Goddbless said:
Tetsuya said:
HappySqurriel said:

Failure of a console is largely a subjective term ...

If you mean whether a console will have a disasterous end (say like the Dreamcast) the signs would be that the console manufacturer is losing a lot of money, third party support is fleeing the platform, and sales are amazingly low (probably under 15 Million world wide after 2 years). The canary in the mine would be the Madden Franchise ... We really don't know what the criteria is but EA is under contractual obligation to release Madden to every living platform (this is one of the requirements to getting the NFL licence exclusively); if a console didn't have a Madden game in the year that would imply that it was dead.

Beyond that, if you mean failure as in the late years of the N64 and Gamecube the signs would be slow sales in the begining that lead to third party support being (almost) entirely multiplatform games; this in turn will lead to slower sales and multiplatform games will begin to leave the platform.

i totally agree with you about the madden situation...if there isnt any madden nfl game on a home console..than the system failed....period end of story!!! i like that addition...

So the Dreamcast was doomed from the start! EA refused to make games for them.

I hate that EA stuff. First of all EA was not under a contractual obligiation until they signed an exclusivity deal with the NFL almost 3 years ago(which actually cost a few of my friends jobs who were still working for Visual Concepts which did the Sega Sports line and 2K sports, I had already left).

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Andir, I ban, I ban....Sort of. If you keep posting dumb stuff like this (and it's not the first time), banstick for your face!

Ultimately, a lack of games and consumer awareness/interest can murder a system. The Saturn did bad in the US, so when the DC rolled around, it rolled over and died, despite selling a bit better in Japan.

Sorry Stick but I initially read the title to say "How do you know when a console is about to fail". We have a had a few threads on Wii and 360 failures and it is not a stretch to think that is what it could mean. I definitely have to say you are being to harsh here.

Honestly? Time. Time is the best source of how well or poorly a console does. Right now, it looks as though the Wii has this generation in its pocket and the PS3 is going to spend the whole time trying to catch up to the Xbox 360.

But... this has happened before (to a significantly lesser degree, though). It is entirely possible that this can turn a 180 in the blink of an eye. Faster than you can say "What happened here?"

It's been less than a year into the lifespan of the Wii and PS3, and less than two into Xbox 360's. I would wager than by the summer of 2009, the generation will be set in stone. Currently, the PS3 is failing. The Xbox 360 is unhealthy, but surviving. The Wii is flourishing. But it can all change.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

steverhcp02 said:
Andir said:
All I was pointing to is that it's perfectly and openly acceptable around here to point and laugh at the PS3 sales, or game ports, but I mention the stability of the 360 and I'm threatened openly with banning. I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed

I tried before too, its not worth it, this is teh worst modded forum on the interwebs, just accept it.

On topic: I think like someone said with Madden just look for games now being announced. As long as companies are announcing games the system is being used its not going away. But its really subjective in terms of "failing" Does the 360 fail even if it takes away from Sony's home integration penetration? Does the PS3 fail if it selles the least consoles but Sony ends up wining th eBD market and making more money? The Wii, well, as of right now its making new games and selling like crazy so theres not much you can say about it "failing"

Thsi generation is too complex for better or worse where a company liek Sony or MSFT could sell the least consoles but still be successful with what they were trying to accomplish. 

well i kind dont believe that statement because third parties was supporting the dreamcast....it was only when Sega announced that they were discountiuing the dreamcast..when third parties left the console....so your statement is wrong...

Physical evidence you say? Go to your gameshop, or any gameshop and compare the overall sizes of the displays for each system. A dying console has a much smaller display rack than the popular one.

However a new console begins with a smaller segment for it's only building it's games library, as it continues to become popular the displays for that console will grow. That being said you have to wait atleast 1 year after the release to have a better vision. Once a display will reduce in size, it will almost be impossible to turn the tide.

Around the Network
Joemanji said:
Physical evidence you say? Go to your gameshop, or any gameshop and compare the overall sizes of the displays for each system. A dying console has a much smaller display rack than the popular one.

However a new console begins with a smaller segment for it's only building it's games library, as it continues to become popular the displays for that console will grow. That being said you have to wait atleast 1 year after the release to have a better vision. Once a display will reduce in size, it will almost be impossible to turn the tide.

ok thats a excellent statement....cause when i remember when the n-gage was out there were no games but probably 12 games displayed in a Gamestop store....i just wanted to know if anyone can remember did the dreamcast had alot of display compared to the gamecube and xbox??

Tetsuya said:
steverhcp02 said:
Andir said:
All I was pointing to is that it's perfectly and openly acceptable around here to point and laugh at the PS3 sales, or game ports, but I mention the stability of the 360 and I'm threatened openly with banning. I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed

I tried before too, its not worth it, this is teh worst modded forum on the interwebs, just accept it.

On topic: I think like someone said with Madden just look for games now being announced. As long as companies are announcing games the system is being used its not going away. But its really subjective in terms of "failing" Does the 360 fail even if it takes away from Sony's home integration penetration? Does the PS3 fail if it selles the least consoles but Sony ends up wining th eBD market and making more money? The Wii, well, as of right now its making new games and selling like crazy so theres not much you can say about it "failing"

Thsi generation is too complex for better or worse where a company liek Sony or MSFT could sell the least consoles but still be successful with what they were trying to accomplish.

well i kind dont believe that statement because third parties was supporting the dreamcast....it was only when Sega announced that they were discountiuing the dreamcast..when third parties left the console....so your statement is wrong...

you just quoted a paragraph, what statement are you referring to where i mention the dreamcast, or that 3rd parties LEFT the dreamcast to show its downfall? the question was "what are some things to know if a console is about to fail" We are putting what we think will show these signs are we not? If we are only allowed to say teh things that happened to the dreamcast or failed past consoles then why the hell are we even discussing it since you can just google the facts and find out for yourself?

Playstation price drop 250 days

Gamecube Price drop 176 days

Dreamcast price drop 245 days 

Xbox price drop 181 days 

PS3 price drop 229

The only "Failed" system i see is dreamcast and it was cut 5 days earlier than the PSX one of the most successful systems, and the GameCube which made nintendo a great deal of money and had some amazing games was cut at 176.......xbox might have lost MSFT a buttload of money but it produced some stellar games, so theres some stuff to answer the underlying question of your thread, no the PS3 is not a failure based on the price drop.

On a related note, Peter Moore seems to be the only constant with failed consoles of relative generation, eh?

steverhcp02 said:
Andir said:

i cant agree with that...because developers can cancel a game...

An initial $600 price tag!

What?! Look at how well the Panasonic 3DO faired, or the PC engine did overall! :P

In all seriousness, I think there is very little beyond the bottom line reports being sent out to investors that can tell much of anything these days.

Why? Mainly due to technological advancements across the board in peoples everyday lives. The dynamics of console gaming has changed based on different marketing schemes and target audiences.

It's not always fair to contrast and compare all data to previous consoles as the technological marketplace has changed so dramatically within the last twenty years.

Good guidelines, but certainly not law as there are too many changing variables.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355