By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are some things to know if a console is about to fail??

1. i think price-if you come to notice that a console is getting constant price cuts thats an early indication

2. lack of games- there is no software for the system

i cant think of anything else cause my brain hurts but can anyone else think of facts?

Around the Network

hm, i guess if it does not sell to customers that's a clear indicator that it is about to fail to.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

ok if u was not to have any sources like vgchartz or media create or npd....what are some indications??

Failure of a console is largely a subjective term ...

If you mean whether a console will have a disasterous end (say like the Dreamcast) the signs would be that the console manufacturer is losing a lot of money, third party support is fleeing the platform, and sales are amazingly low (probably under 15 Million world wide after 2 years). The canary in the mine would be the Madden Franchise ... We really don't know what the criteria is but EA is under contractual obligation to release Madden to every living platform (this is one of the requirements to getting the NFL licence exclusively); if a console didn't have a Madden game in the year that would imply that it was dead.

Beyond that, if you mean failure as in the late years of the N64 and Gamecube the signs would be slow sales in the begining that lead to third party support being (almost) entirely multiplatform games; this in turn will lead to slower sales and multiplatform games will begin to leave the platform.

I read the title and thought:
1. It has the word XBox360 somewhere on it.
2. You have four lights on the front which change from green to red.
3. Smoke and heat shooting out the top...

I kid..I kid. Sort of.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Around the Network

Andir, I ban, I ban....Sort of. If you keep posting dumb stuff like this (and it's not the first time), banstick for your face!

Ultimately, a lack of games and consumer awareness/interest can murder a system. The Saturn did bad in the US, so when the DC rolled around, it rolled over and died, despite selling a bit better in Japan.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

HappySqurriel said:

Failure of a console is largely a subjective term ...

If you mean whether a console will have a disasterous end (say like the Dreamcast) the signs would be that the console manufacturer is losing a lot of money, third party support is fleeing the platform, and sales are amazingly low (probably under 15 Million world wide after 2 years). The canary in the mine would be the Madden Franchise ... We really don't know what the criteria is but EA is under contractual obligation to release Madden to every living platform (this is one of the requirements to getting the NFL licence exclusively); if a console didn't have a Madden game in the year that would imply that it was dead.

Beyond that, if you mean failure as in the late years of the N64 and Gamecube the signs would be slow sales in the begining that lead to third party support being (almost) entirely multiplatform games; this in turn will lead to slower sales and multiplatform games will begin to leave the platform.

ok i understand a little...but ur missing my question...say for example there were no sources for gaming sales...and u had no knowledge of how many units have been sold...what would be ur indication of a console that is not selling well???

like i posted above if i didnt have any knowledge of gaming sales..i would say a price cut is a indication of a console which is not selling well....arent i true?? does anyone agree with my statement??

Looks like a barbeque?

llewdebkram said:
Looks like a barbeque?

what does any of that have to do with what im discussing??? @_@

Less shelf space for the system/games, system is marked "clearance" in stores, mainstream news reports talking about how system X is killing system Y. That's about all I can think of.