By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So, seems like it's well accepted that...

Based on what do you think Sony will be second? Nintendo will definately be first by some margin. But second place is more M$'s than Sony's right now. If Sony was within 2 million as of today I would accept people stating they will come second. But being nearly 6 mill behind is not close. And even when the PS3 was outselling the 360 it was at times only by 30,000 a week. Not enough for Sony to catch by gens end. And if as I predict M$ have a better end to the year I expect that gap to jump to around 6.7 mill behind by February.

Sorry but I am thinking Sony will be 3rd this gen.

Around the Network
xman said:

Nintendo number one is locked up, 2 and 3 us were it gets dicey I think PS3 will win in the end but as you stated it wont matter cause it will be so close.  I fyou think about it that would be a HUGE vicotry for MS they went from 0 to finally playing with the big boys

They were a distant second last gen, why would being a distant second this gen be more important?

Having said that, in a round about sort of way, I agree with you. I don't think MS finishing second would be a huge victory for MS, but Sony finishing third would be. Remember, MS got into the console business (and gleefully threw billions away in the process) to kill the Playstation brandname. If PS3 finishes third, then MS can call it mission accomplished.

Wii may become like the DS in Japan when it reach its peak so it may not be holding on to first place forever but that will depend on what games it gets to get the hardcore owners to get one just like the DS. Other than that I think PS3 and 360 will be very close for 2nd and 3rd place.

The Wii will be in the lead by the end of IT's life, Not the PS3's. The Wii, regardless of it's continuous onslaught of sales, is a fad(in my eyes). And everyone knows all fads die hard. The Wii's momentum has slowed down just a tad as I have seen quite a few be returned to gamestop as of the last few months. The PS3 is a sure bet to pass the 360 as it's sales have been over 360's ever since early christmas season of last year. When the Wii is no longer profitable it will still be market leader. Yet at the end of the PS3 10yr plan It will have well passed this mark.

My opinion of course...

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Sony will be a distant 3rd.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

Around the Network
Undying said:

How so?

Its not even in a distant third now, and it is a system that cost initiallly twice as much and a came a year late then it's main competition. Do you expect it to crawl up in a ball and die in the nxt couple of months? How when It has been outselling 360 for months now?

Reasoning please....

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

I think there will be a few suprises nearer the end , I won't make my opinion known since most users don't like non-conformists.

forevercloud3000 said:
Undying said:

How so?

Its not even in a distant third now, and it is a system that cost initiallly twice as much and a came a year late then it's main competition. Do you expect it to crawl up in a ball and die in the nxt couple of months? How when It has been outselling 360 for months now?

Reasoning please....

Based on available data anyone saying Sony for distant third is going on faith and their own hopes only.  So far this year the PS3 has sold more than 360 WW while costing more with a smaller library of top games... that doesn't scream distant third at this point.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

DMeisterJ said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
B-b-b-b-b-but 10 year plan!

/yawn

Try coming up with something new?

The same phrases repeated ad nauseum makes you just as bad as Sony PR.

Not really, Sony PR (and many Sony fans as evident by posts on VGC) somehow still believes that the 10 year plan is legit and continue to say it many current interviews and press releases.

He's mocking them which will continue to be valid until they stop spouting it themselves.

@Million

It's not like we're a cult.  We don't mind people with differing opinions or "non-conformists" like you say.  But if you're going to go against the grain and predict something different then it's on you to back it up with good evidence.  The problem is the vast majority of people who claim "Wii sheep won't listen to anybody else" say so because they come out here and spout their PS3 domination predictions without anything to back it up or anything that other people can't dissect immediately.

SHMUPGurus said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
No, but I'm in the minority. What you wrote is clearly what the majority thinks, but I just can't see where the whole "Sony is going to beat Microsoft" is coming from. I think Microsoft is going to come in second, albeit narrowly, due to their headstart. I just don't think Sony will catch up.

This... or what if Sony make their basic SKU around 299$? I mean, it only depends when Blu-Ray is going to beat DVDs.

When that happens though people are just going to buy BluRay players.  Right now the PS3 is by far and beyond the best BluRay player but that doesn't mean it always will be.