By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Phil Harrison: don't judge console by launch titles

ckmlb said:
z64dan said:
Their main problem with sales right now is they've basically admitted to doing a price cut in the fall, in fewer words. Now people are just waiting.

Not the average person that doesn't read gaming news on the internet and not the people who were saving up for one and want one now...

the average person isn't buying the PS3 to begin with though.

End of 2007 Predictions:

Wii =18m

360=14m

PS3=7m

DS=64m

PSP=30m

Around the Network
Ackmed Tepish said:
ckmlb said:
z64dan said:
Their main problem with sales right now is they've basically admitted to doing a price cut in the fall, in fewer words. Now people are just waiting.

Not the average person that doesn't read gaming news on the internet and not the people who were saving up for one and want one now...

the average person isn't buying the PS3 to begin with though.

I know this has been stated before, but with so many people holding on to the PS2 (visible by sales) instead of going with the Wii or 360 tells me there are still very many people that have faith in the Sony brand.  This Christmas will be interesting.  People tend to go all out and I would hedge a bet to say the PS3 sells better than anyone anticipates.  (Especially with the fall game lineup)

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Andir said: I know this has been stated before, but with so many people holding on to the PS2 (visible by sales) instead of going with the Wii or 360 tells me there are still very many people that have faith in the Sony brand.  This Christmas will be interesting.  People tend to go all out and I would hedge a bet to say the PS3 sells better than anyone anticipates.  (Especially with the fall game lineup)

Sorry, but I'm not buying this logic. The PS2 had the largest console install base in history; it stretches logic to assume that all the PS2 buyers are eagerly anticipating purchasing the PS3. If the huge casual base isn't buying any of the new systems, that doesn't mean that they're holding out for a PS3 - it means that they're unhappy with the current offerings from everyone. Or maybe these people are just waiting for Christmas to arrive. The PS3 has been doing poorly in sales in every major region, through this entire year. I don't know how that translates into "there are still very many people that have faith in the Sony brand." Did you expect the Wii and 360 to sell 50 million units each in their first year on the market?

The notion of brand loyalty is overrated. Brand loyalty didn't stop 30 million NES customers from switching over to the Genesis/Megadrive in the early 1990s, or another 15 million SNES customers from switching to the Playstation. Most consumers have no allegience to any company; they simply buy whatever strikes their fancy. If the PS3 is struggling, it's because most consumers don't want it right now. Nothing more complicated than that. The notion that there is some nebulous pool of "Sony loyalists" who will rise up and purchase the PS3 en masse at a later date is a fallacy. It didn't happen for Atari, it didn't happen for Sega, it didn't happen for Nintendo, and it won't happen for Sony.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

BenKenobi88 said:
He says good games will come later? Genius!

Both the PS3 and the Wii will be getting AAA games later this year and next year...so we'll just have to see where it goes...if the PS3 can actually pick up, and if the Wii can finally get past its supply problem.
i cant wait for aaa games to come to the wii .. it will be really fun using that remote.... i like phill harrison though... he has alot of respect in the industry and he speaks the truth which is good... but of course both have good games coming thats a given...

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

ckmlb said:
z64dan said:

Which are obviously not that many.

Around the Network
Andir said:
Ackmed Tepish said:
ckmlb said:
z64dan said:

the average person isn't buying the PS3 to begin with though.

I know this has been stated before, but with so many people holding on to the PS2 (visible by sales) instead of going with the Wii or 360 tells me there are still very many people that have faith in the Sony brand.  This Christmas will be interesting.  People tend to go all out and I would hedge a bet to say the PS3 sells better than anyone anticipates.  (Especially with the fall game lineup)

So you're using the sales of a console, the Wii, which are supply capped to compare to the sales of an established console, the Ps2, which aren't supply capped... with no logic or proof either way to suggest one isn't buying the other? Since the Wii won't be supply capped this Holiday season hopefully, it will be an interesting christmas indeed.

End of 2007 Predictions:

Wii =18m

360=14m

PS3=7m

DS=64m

PSP=30m